-
Junior Member
registered user
What is this initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
I see in your lilo.conf :
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=Linux
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
read-only
# restricted
# alias=1
I have a problems booting to Knoppix3.3 copied to HD with vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs . I beleive that it needs this strange for me initrd.gz .
What is it? Where to get this initrd.gz to boot vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs ??
Any help???
Best, Alex
-
Senior Member
registered user
I am no expert on these things, but afaik INITRD.GZ is some 'image' which is usefull, but not essential needed for your kernel to boot. I'f I recall this right (I guess google can get you more info) its needed for loading external kernel modules.
But - if there is a problem, you kan use a tool called "mkinitrd" to (re)generate an initrd.gz (or initrd-kernel-2.4.22-xfs.img) for your kernel.
this might help...
good luck 
(and be sure to use google on this, i am sure that will help)
-
initrd stands for initial ramdisk
-
Senior Member
registered user
Alex,
If you installed to HD correctly then the initrd.gz file should be there in the boot directory of your installation.
Please post the error message.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I've copied
nice --22 cp -a /cdrom/KNOPPIX/* /dev/hda3
as it was recommended, and there is no initrd.gz in /dev/hda3.
I tried to make initrd.img with mkinitrd from lib/modules/...2.4.22-xfs . It was generated of 3.4MB, and after including it to lilo.conf
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
Result was the same:
Kernel panic, cannot mount root filesystem on 0303.
Ok, I'll try to install Knoppix3.3 with knx-install script, may be suitable initrd.gz will be generated.
Additionally, there is a some problem when Knoppix3.3 minoroot.gz trys to find Knoppix3.3 compressed core on any HD partitions. Floppy boot from Knoppix3.2 can find Knoppix3.3 core, but cannot handle it. Knoppix3.3 miniroot.gz cannot find core.
Similar Threads
-
By jobuli in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 01:01 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 04:18 PM
-
By popcorn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 11:08 AM
-
By Calvi Risorta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 03:09 AM
-
By sanjay in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 11:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00

Supermicro 505-2 Server
$280.00

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99