Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cheat code HDD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19

    Cheat code HDD install

    Hey, first of all, I'm a complete linux newb.
    I'm installing Knoppix on a Toshiba Satellite HDD. If I type 'knoppix' at the boot prompt KDE loads and uses only half the available screen. If, however, i type 'knoppix vsync=60', this works great.
    My question is, after HDD install, how do I get KDE to load 'vsync=60' automatically?
    Thanks in advance, especially for helping a newb
    Alex R

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I don't think cheatcodes should be necessary after a HD install. But I've always installed debian-style so I can't say for sure about knoppix-style installs. Did you install and it isn't working, or are you just asking in advance?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    Asking in advance. The laptop has a Win2000 install which I don't have CD for, so once I switch to Linux, that's it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    If installed as Knoppix-CD-like system, /etc/lilo.conf should contain vsync=60 within the append section to maintain the settings each and every boot. ie append="... vsync=60"

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    Thanks!
    EDIT: I know this is the wrong forum, but does this go for a standard Debian install too? (not sure if I want to fill the 6GB/64MB Ram computer with Knoppix, as many of the tools are unnecessary.)

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by alxdotnet
    not sure if I want to fill the 6GB/64MB Ram computer with Knoppix, as many of the tools are unnecessary.
    I'll be following your results, as I just installed Knoppix on a used 6GB Compaq with 64MB of RAM. It's taken me quite a while to get things up and running -- on my first try, I made my root partition way too small and everything started hanging up after a while. Now I'm running with two partitions (plus swap), /home moved to the new partition, and things are ok. For now...

    But to answer your original question from my experience, here's the process I followed (without the "ooops, start over"s):

    * Boot from the Knoppix CD with the appropriate cheat codes (in my case, I needed screen=800x600 vga=normal to make my crappy old monitor work).

    * Partition your hard drive. You'll be asked to partition it again during the installation process, but it was easier for me to have already done it.

    * Tweak monitor settings as desired (can't remember the app name), and use the Knoppix "Save Configuration" option *before* you reboot (another reason to have already partitioned the HD).

    * This time, use *only* cheat code myconfig=scan. If something doesn't work, you'll be glad you didn't mess up the HD install (like I did, several times).

    * Install to hard drive!

    Important caveat: I have all of 6 weeks' experience with Knoppix, so YMMV.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    Thanks for the advice! I'm having problems booting the Debian install CD so I might do the knoppix If i don't get a response anywhere else. I'll let you know when I finish.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    19
    Alright! Knoppix is up and running, although slow, on my 600Mhz laptop with 6GB HDD and 64MB RAM. I'm currently using a 192MB swap partition (too much?), and Knoppix itself is on a 4.75GB partition. The other 1GB or so is partitioned FAT32, but Debian won't mount it, so I need help here.
    Currently trying to upgrade to KDE3.2, awaiting response in another forum.

Similar Threads

  1. cheat code "persistance" with hd install
    By hardbop200 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-10-2004, 12:49 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 05:03 AM
  3. auto cheat code
    By dng88 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 11:37 PM
  4. Cheat Code Usage
    By hankster in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 09:37 AM
  5. Screen= Cheat Code
    By bassbrnr in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested picture

Seagate BarraCuda 28TB 7.2K SATA 6Gb/s 3.5in Internal HDD ST28000DM000 - Tested

$670.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$329.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99