OK, now I need to compile the kernel because CMPXCHG is not defined in the generic Knoppix kernel since it was made for 386 processors. No problem, I do make xmenuconfig and change to Athlon. When I stat to compile I envetually get an error message
In file included from gamma_drv.c:34:
drmP.h:932: redefinition of `__cmpxchg'
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/include/asm/system.h:244: `__cmpxchg' previously defined here
make[4]: *** [gamma_drv.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers/char/drm'
make[3]: *** [_modsubdir_drm] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers/char'
make[2]: *** [_modsubdir_char] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers'
make[1]: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
I see a couple other people have seen this in the forum. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? Based on a Google search, it looks like the 2.4 kernel was sort of transitioning where cmpxchg was to be defined so maybe it is stuck in two places.

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95
Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total
$120.00
SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99
MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00
Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Samsung 32GB DDR4 2933MHz PC4-2933Y 2Rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM M393A4K40CB2-CVFBY
$270.00
lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested
$1000.00
x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99
Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39