Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: I can no longer boot to windows...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1

    I can no longer boot to windows...

    Ok, I have two hard drives, hda1 and hdb1. I loaded Knoppix onto the hda1 because it's small and I wanted to isolate it from my windows install. However, now when I start up, it asks me to choose Linux (which works) or WindowsNT(which just hangs). I was running windows XP Pro just fine, and I didn't touch the other hard drive. Anyone know how to make the windows boot again? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3
    Hello tkatchev69,
    I'm no Windows expert but I've read that Windows XP has some problems with Lilo/Grup installed in your MBR.

    If this is the situation then MS's
    Code:
    fdisk /mbr
    command should fix that but you would have to copy the resulting file of
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda1 of=boot.linux bs=512 count=1
    to your Windows partition (via floppy) first
    and then if Windows boots again you would have to change your boot.ini:

    Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows" /fastdetect
    C:\boot.linux="LiNUX"
    Maybe that's a solution to your problem but I'm not really sure because your question wasn't that clear.... or I just did not understand you

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    12
    Hi tkatchev69,

    If you do have to seprat Hard Drive's then in you BIOS you should be able to change you boot device.
    Example:
    if your Primary master is Linux and you Primary slave is XP ( C:Linux, D:XP)
    To boot XP change your boot device to D:

    I have done sevral Dual-boot systems and this is the safe and easy way.
    you may want o check out other post on Dual-boot.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=dualboot

    hope that helps

    (If you do not know what I am talking about let me know and I will fill in the blanks.)

Similar Threads

  1. grub boot loader read the boot file from a windows partition
    By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
  2. windows XP SP2 no longer boots after using knoppix 3.6
    By MrReapa in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 11:14 PM
  3. System no longer boot kdm
    By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
  4. HELP Can no longer boot regular floppys or CDs
    By cpfrank in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:00 AM
  5. How can I boot Knoppix using windows boot loader?
    By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$30.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00