Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Boot up a box into X/Terminal Server without monitor

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1

    Boot up a box into X/Terminal Server without monitor

    Hi all,

    I have received an older Compaq box as a gift. No monitor. 1GB harddrive. I want to use it as a home network server.

    I have only laptops around, so there is no way I can use a monitor to set up the box.

    Can anybody suggest if I could use Knoppix or any of its customisations to boot this box from CD and be able to log in either in a terminal mode or XWindow Client mode from my Linux laptop through Ethernet?

    I have a hardware router with DHCP set up.

    May be I should use something less sophysticated, say, a floppy distro? But If Knoppix would be able to do what I need, I would spare myself the tinkery with new distributions.

    Thanks for your suggestons!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    I found this in the docs on this website.

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/Headless Knoppix

    Okay, so the link won't work because it has a space in it, but if you go here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/ then look at the fourth entry from the bottom of the HOWTO section.

Similar Threads

  1. PXE boot without Knoppix Terminal Server
    By thewolf in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 08:01 PM
  2. RPL boot from Knoppix Terminal server?
    By sunburnt in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 09:49 PM
  3. Start My Knoppix Terminal Server At Boot
    By zandoval in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 03:39 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6 TB,Internal,5400 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive picture

Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6 TB,Internal,5400 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive

$179.99