Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: dvd drive doesn't work!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26

    dvd drive doesn't work!

    I installed knx3.3 on my hd and I have trying to get everything to work since slowly but surely I getting it done but I am stumped with this one. I have a cd icon on my desktop when I click it I get this message ERROR: Unable to run the command specified. The file or directory file:/mnt/cdrom does not exist. I cannot use kscd,xmms, or even xine. how would I go about fixing this problem?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    Well, step one would be to create an empty directory mode 777 called /mnt/cdrom.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26
    I'll startwith this to help you help me. knoppix@Shizzle:/mnt$ ls
    auto bootfloppy cdaudio cdrom dvd floppy hda1 miniroot test
    knoppix@Shizzle:/mnt$ mount cdaudio
    mount: can't find /mnt/cdaudio in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
    knoppix@Shizzle:/mnt$ mount cdrom
    mount: can't find /mnt/cdrom in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    /dev/hda2 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
    # /etc/mtab
    /dev/hda2 / reiserfs rw 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 vfat rw,nosuid,nodev,umask=000 0 0
    I have the devices as you can see the dir's are there also can anyone tell from the info above why I can not use any of theese things. Actually I can use the hda. another thing that may or may not help is all the things under /mnt are dark blue except floppy, it is light blue. thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    When you issue the mount command on the command line, maybe you should put a slash in front of the name, such as 'mount /cdaudio' and 'mount /cdrom'.

    Check under the properties of your CD icon. If you have a tab marked 'URL' and if the URL entry itself is /mnt/cdrom, try changing this to be just /cdrom.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26
    Thanks tearinghairout with your help I got it working. I was wondering though, why can I play audio and burned video cd's but not one I got for windows does a windows cd have a different format or something? also when I put in my knoppix cd I cannot see what is on it, Why? anyways thanks for the help.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo
    also when I put in my knoppix cd I cannot see what is on it, Why?
    Because most of the things on it are in the compressed filesystem, which appears as a big file file called "KNOPPIX" in the KNOPPIX directory. If you want to mount it while running from HD take a look at the threads in the remastering section.

Similar Threads

  1. CD-ROM drive just doesn't work right
    By ultimai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2004, 02:58 AM
  2. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  3. im having a problem getting my floppy drive to work
    By Ghetto2k4 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 02:00 AM
  4. Still need help getting cd rom and dvd drive to work.
    By rrfish72 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2004, 04:39 PM
  5. Using Knoppix with work saved to hard drive...
    By howagood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...

$379.99



Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader

$571.00



LENOVO THINKBOOK 14 G2 ITL i7-1165G7@2.80 16GB RAM 256SSD BLIT BT WEBCAM TOUCH picture

LENOVO THINKBOOK 14 G2 ITL [email protected] 16GB RAM 256SSD BLIT BT WEBCAM TOUCH

$259.99



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00



Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$249.99