Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Fstab mounted device, users cant view/open (resolved)

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Fstab mounted device, users cant view/open (resolved)

    Ok, I added a new hard drive (it contains a Win98 VFAT), named /dev/hdc1 - mount point is to /gblusr/dosd - which I created the mount point directory, did a chmod 777 on, and chgrp to users

    fstab file has the following:
    /dev/hdc1 /gblusr/dosd vfar defaults,user,exec 0 0

    NOTE: even though my typing maybe bad, the directory and fstab file are the same folder name, i.e. /gblusr/dosd - and I not only did a chmod and chgrp on /gblusr/dosd but also on /gblusr - just to be sure that the complete tree structure can be accessed by everyone...

    Problem is that only Root can view the device, if any other user attempts to load a view of the device, which is already mounted, they get access denied, and a empty folder view.

    Did I miss something?

    One thing I can't understand though, if I examine my "groups", I don't have a group named "user", but rather a group called "users" - but the fstab file shows "user" - singular, if I try and change permissions within the right-click "properties" of something, and change the "group" their, it wants to use "users" - plural. Which is right, and where does each one get used? Shouldn't a chgrp be to "users", or should fstab be "users" ??? I am getting lost on this subject, but the only thing I have currently is a Win98 hard drive, with a Wine test, that I can't even get to the device to test. (yes, this is the finicky DOS program, STILL -=- I can't believe I am STILL trying to get that stupid DOS program to run)

    Help, please, anyone, throw me a bone here [giggle]
    Cuddles

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Just thought this might help: contents of fstab and group files:

    #cat fstab
    # /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
    #
    # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
    # Main HD part1 Linux OS
    /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # Main HD part3 Linux Swap
    /dev/hda3 none swap sw 0 0
    #
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # Main HD part2 VFAT DOS
    /dev/hda2 /gblusr/dosp vfat defaults,user,exec 0 0
    # Secondard HD VFAT DOS
    /dev/hdc1 /gblusr/dosd vfat defaults,user,exec 0 0
    # Remaining devices
    /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
    # Added by KNOPPIX
    /dev/sda /mnt/sda auto noauto,users,exec 0 0


    # cat group
    root:0:
    daemon:1:
    bin:2:
    sys:3:
    adm:4:
    tty:5:
    disk:6:backup,root,knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    lp:7:lp
    mail:8:
    news:9:
    uucp:10:
    proxy:13:
    kmem:15:
    dialout:20:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    fax:21:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    voice:22:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    cdrom:24:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    floppy:25:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    tape:26:knoppix,backup,mango,cuddles,raz
    sudo:27:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    audio:29:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    dip:30:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    majordom:31:majordom
    postgres:32:
    www-data:33:
    backup:34:
    msql:36:
    operator:37:
    list:38:
    irc:39:
    src:40:
    gnats:41:
    shadow:42:
    utmp:43:telnetd
    video:44:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    staff:50:
    games:60:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    users:100:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    lpadmin:102:
    mysql:103:
    postfix:104:
    postdrop:105:
    usb:106:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    knoppix:1000:knoppix
    nogroup:65534:
    comusers:*:11223:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    partimag:107:
    sasl:*:45:
    telnetd:101:
    man:*:12:
    bind:108:
    ssh:109:
    sslwrap:1001:
    scanner:110:
    crontab:111:
    cuddles:1003:cuddles
    mango:1004:mango
    raz:1005:raz
    cdrecording:11224:knoppix,mango,cuddles,raz
    #

    Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    The "user" in the /etc/fstab is not the name of a group. Instead it is a keyword interpreted by the mount command as meaning (taken from the fstab man page) "``user'' (allow a user to mount),".

    Are you trying to access the device by clicking on an icon on the desktop, or are you doing it all from the command line? If the former, try the latter.
    Having nice gui clicky things is all well and good when it works, but adds an extra layer of "things that can go wrong". I only trust the command line, and whenever things start to go funny, always drop down to a command shell to really see whats going on.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    TearingHairOut,

    I admit, the user account, Knoppix, I am using the icon on the desktop, I have done everything to the icon - it has everything enabled, and a "user group" as Users also.

    How would I go about opening a "folder view" from a command shell line?

    The devices are already mounted, when the user is logged in, the icon on the desktop has the mount icon. I would like to test this out, by command, but what format and command is used?

    BTW - the reason I am using a mount point of /gblusr/... instead of /usr/... is - I thought that maybe the rights, or permissions, were getting inherited from the upper folder, i.e. /usr/ - so I created a /gblusr/ and added my mount points below that same permissioned folder.

    Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    How would I go about opening a "folder view" from a command shell line?
    Well, a luddite like me would just type 'cd /gblusr/dosd' followed by 'ls -l' and see what you get.

    I think it is also possible to open a "folder view" by starting konqueror and typing in a URL such as "file:///gblusr/dosd"

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    TearingHairOut,

    I admit, the user account, Knoppix, I am using the icon on the desktop, I have done everything to the icon - it has everything enabled, and a "user group" as Users also.

    How would I go about opening a "folder view" from a command shell line?

    The devices are already mounted, when the user is logged in, the icon on the desktop has the mount icon. I would like to test this out, by command, but what format and command is used?

    BTW - the reason I am using a mount point of /gblusr/... instead of /usr/... is - I thought that maybe the rights, or permissions, were getting inherited from the upper folder, i.e. /usr/ - so I created a /gblusr/ and added my mount points below that same permissioned folder.

    Cuddles
    Try:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc1 /gblusr/dosd vfat defaults,user,exec,umask=000 0 0
    Then see if everyone can access the mount.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I found this trick on Libranet's web site in their support database:
    http://www.libranet.com/support/view...item=0155.html

    Here is a line from my /etc/fstab file:

    /dev/hde1 /win vfat defaults,exec,gid=windows,umask=002 0 0

    above is the line from my /etc/fstab file for my windows partition. Note; I still get permission errors and files cannot be moved from my windows partition to my linux partitions, they are copied fine, but the old file cannot be deleted, so I have to copy and delete, but users can write to the partition.

    So, what you do is edit your /etc/fstab, if you only have one user on your system ex: user knoppix then you should be able to use: gid=knoppix (if that is the group user knoppix is in) instead of windows, unmount the partition, mount it and everything should be OK. If you have multiple users, then add a group such as: windows and make all users part of group windows.

    If you want a gui user/group frontend try kuser it's simple and easy to use.

    HTH

    ~rock

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Houston, we DON'T have a problem

    TearingHairOut,
    I tried to use the konsole to cd to my Win HD, it failed with "access denied."

    Stephen, YES, Y E S, Y E S !
    Modified the fstab to having the umask addition - that did it! Perfect, I can open and list files/folders from a konsole window - using ls -=- and I also was able to use my Desktop Icon for the device to open the device in folder view - EXCELLENT.

    Sorry RockMumbles, I worked from a "top down" process, I didn't get a chance to try your suggestion, considering that Stephen's idea did the trick - nothing personal (you know)

    As a famous actor from the "A" Team, once said: I love it when a plan comes together [giggle]

    Thanks to everyone, hopefully, I can get Wine to work on my "stupid" DOS program now...
    Cuddles
    BTW - How do you get a DOS Prompt using Wine? (Considering I am going to be running a DOS program) In Windows, you just fire off "command.com", is this what I would pass to Wine? Any answers? Or I can just beat the answer out of Wine, giggle.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem when moving New Fstab to the Old Fstab to fix Suse
    By cheetahman in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 11:58 AM
  2. Cannot view my HD
    By Sebulba in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 07:02 AM
  3. USB View
    By TheCyberDude in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 06:39 AM
  4. unable to open a suitable terminal device
    By MrAhmad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 07:41 PM
  5. can't open /etc/fstab :-(
    By Henk Poley in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 07:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MINIX NEO Z83-4 MAX Fanless Mini PC Win 11 Pro 4GB 128GB Home Lab Linux Server picture

MINIX NEO Z83-4 MAX Fanless Mini PC Win 11 Pro 4GB 128GB Home Lab Linux Server

$69.99



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$599.00



Netgate 2100 pfSense Firewall Appliance w/ Power Adapter w/Storage Upgrade picture

Netgate 2100 pfSense Firewall Appliance w/ Power Adapter w/Storage Upgrade

$187.50



Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+ picture

Ubuntu 26.04 LTS – 3 DVD Set Desktop - Server - Studio Edition - Grade AAA+

$14.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00



HP ProLiant DL360P G8 Server 2.60Ghz 16-Core 96GB 2X 300GB Enterprise (Renewed) picture

HP ProLiant DL360P G8 Server 2.60Ghz 16-Core 96GB 2X 300GB Enterprise (Renewed)

$140.00



SQL Server 2025 Enterprise 20 Core Unlimited CALs Retail License picture

SQL Server 2025 Enterprise 20 Core Unlimited CALs Retail License

$349.99