-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix HD install -then- Windows
Not sure if this is "common" tip/trick, its my first attempt, but thought it was worth it, you judge...
Had Knoppix v3.3 HD installed to /dev/hda1, with Linux Swap on /dev/hda3, /de/hda2 was a dummy DOS partition (non-bootable)
I wanted to get a vfat, Windows install for Wine to work with, and was concerned about having Windows muck-up my Knoppix, in essense, I wanted Windows only for the "shell" and not the bootable OS.
I added a (small) 2.0 gig hard drive as my Secondary Master on my IDE chain, Knoppix/Debian hard drive is Primary Master. So that Windows (my version was Win9
didn't even touch my Knoppix, I removed the power plug on the Knoppix (/dev/hda - Primary Master) hard drive, and selected in my BIOS Boot Order, Second Hard Drive as first boot device.
Booted up system with the Win98 Setup CD - and went through the complete Install from the Windows CD. After being sure that Windows was happy, and configured, I shutdown, turned off power, and replaced the power connector on the Knoppix hard drive device.
Keeping my BIOS Boot Order set to the Second Hard Drive, I booted into Windows98, and made sure it was still happy. Shutdown Windows, went into the BIOS and repointed my Boot Order back to the First Hard Drive as first choice, and rebooted into Knoppix. In Knoppix I made the necessary additions to fstab to mount the vfat device, holding bare-minimum Win98, and had what I needed.
This trick works really nice, if you have two hard drive devices, want to dedicate one of them to Knoppix, and the other to Windows - not sure if this trick works on Windows versions above '98 or not though.
Nice thing about this is, if I "have" to, I just change my BIOS Boot Order, and I can boot into Windows, without having to use any BootLoader, or having a MBR issue, and it never did anything to my Knoppix.
Cuddles
[we now return you to your original bandwidth, already in progress]
Similar Threads
-
By apoc in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 10:15 AM
-
By Rod F. in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2004, 08:44 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By Zibar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 03:58 AM
-
By far2bored in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Asrock Rack ROMED8-2T Server Motherboard AMD EPYC 7003 (with AMD 3D V-Cache Tech
$747.99