OK, now I need to compile the kernel because CMPXCHG is not defined in the generic Knoppix kernel since it was made for 386 processors. No problem, I do make xmenuconfig and change to Athlon. When I stat to compile I envetually get an error message
In file included from gamma_drv.c:34:
drmP.h:932: redefinition of `__cmpxchg'
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/include/asm/system.h:244: `__cmpxchg' previously defined here
make[4]: *** [gamma_drv.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers/char/drm'
make[3]: *** [_modsubdir_drm] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers/char'
make[2]: *** [_modsubdir_char] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers'
make[1]: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
I see a couple other people have seen this in the forum. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? Based on a Google search, it looks like the 2.4 kernel was sort of transitioning where cmpxchg was to be defined so maybe it is stuck in two places.

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00
Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand
$275.00
Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95
5x Vintage Apple Macintosh II NuBus Cards 630-4179 NI GPIB DIO Asante Ethernet
$239.95
LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00
Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00
Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested
$139.99
Vintage Apple Power Mac G4 Cube Poster (2000) 36 x 24 - Think Different
$29.99
Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99
Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984
$179.99