OK, now I need to compile the kernel because CMPXCHG is not defined in the generic Knoppix kernel since it was made for 386 processors. No problem, I do make xmenuconfig and change to Athlon. When I stat to compile I envetually get an error message
In file included from gamma_drv.c:34:
drmP.h:932: redefinition of `__cmpxchg'
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/include/asm/system.h:244: `__cmpxchg' previously defined here
make[4]: *** [gamma_drv.o] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers/char/drm'
make[3]: *** [_modsubdir_drm] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers/char'
make[2]: *** [_modsubdir_char] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs/drivers'
make[1]: *** [_mod_drivers] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.22-xfs'
make: *** [stamp-build] Error 2
I see a couple other people have seen this in the forum. Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? Based on a Google search, it looks like the 2.4 kernel was sort of transitioning where cmpxchg was to be defined so maybe it is stuck in two places.

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply
$107.95
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$100.00
Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99
Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac
$35.00
VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00