Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: An idea that *might* make Knoppix run faster (or maybe not)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia
    Posts
    2

    An idea that *might* make Knoppix run faster (or maybe not)

    What if I burned the CD ISO of Knoppix on a DVD instead of a CD? I mean if the boot loader would be on the first part of the DVD, then a bunch of empty data on the DVD (80% maybe, between the boot loader and the real data) and the rest of the real Knoppix data on the end of the DVD disc (which is were the DVD is accessed the fastest). Then I load it on a regular 16x DVD drive (not a DVD+-r/rw). Would that make it faster? Because I hear that a 16x DVD drive can read at 22 mb/s while a 52x CD read is at 7.8 mb/s.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    My guess is that this will not make much difference to the speed.

    The limiting factor of most disks in general is not how quickly it reads the data off the disk, but how much time it has to spend moving the read head back and forth and adjusting the speed of the disk and then waiting for the right bit of data to arrive under the read head.

    This is why most hard drives specifications quote firstly the "access time", usually in milliseconds, and also the speed in terms of RPM.

    On CD and DVD drives, these are very slow.

    Also, I believe most CD and DVD drives actually stop the disk after a short period of inactivity (I think only a period of seconds) so the disk needs to be actually spun up to speed repeatedly, and that is probably the slowest thing of all.

    However, I would be most happy to be proven wrong.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Stafford, Virginia
    Posts
    2
    I haven't tried yet, mainly because I can't! I don't know how to just modify a CD ISO were I just insert lots of empty space (a bunch of 0's) between the boot loader and the Knoppix DATA until it's expanded to a 4.7 DVD ISO out of that and then burn it to a DVD disc. Since most of it is empty space, I'm very sure it will compress nicely into a 700mb .zip file.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    35
    Burn the ISO to the DVD, without any blank space.

    it should still use DVD speeds, instead of cdrom.

    In theory I can test the DVD-speed of my DVDwriter and reader by creating a 800MB ramdisk and then copying the KNOPPIX file to it (one single large file)

    this is because I have 1GB RAM.

    same trick can be achived with the KNOPPIX toram option, as long as your DVD is also only 700MB or so (this is a bug, Knoppix toram cheatcode copies everything to the ramdisk, not just the knoppix image..and I don't have 4.5GB RAM!)

    happy testing,

    Bernd

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: An idea that *might* make Knoppix run faster (or maybe n

    Quote Originally Posted by rigurat
    What if I burned the CD ISO of Knoppix on a DVD instead of a CD? I mean if the boot loader would be on the first part of the DVD, then a bunch of empty data on the DVD (80% maybe, between the boot loader and the real data) and the rest of the real Knoppix data on the end of the DVD disc (which is were the DVD is accessed the fastest). Then I load it on a regular 16x DVD drive (not a DVD+-r/rw). Would that make it faster? Because I hear that a 16x DVD drive can read at 22 mb/s while a 52x CD read is at 7.8 mb/s.
    why dont you just use UDF and write the entire thing directly to dvd ? no compression and the UDF filesystem botos nicely very very fast with no remastering overhead. unless of course you have 9GB of stuff you want to fit on a 4.5GB DVD.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    zurk: bad idea. You actually get faster loading times with compressed knoppix because it doesn't have to read as much. CPU is faster then reading from UDF

Similar Threads

  1. smaller and a little bit faster knoppix 3.7 (experimental)
    By ijuz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 05:02 AM
  2. From what hd partition Knoppix core work faster???
    By alex52 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-27-2004, 12:41 AM
  3. i have an idea for the next KNoppix cd
    By DimGR in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
  4. boot knoppix/linux faster
    By Superstoned in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
  5. Faster Knoppix?
    By Megagun in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95