-
Knoppix, Network card eeprom and Windows98 Security Update
Hi,
Quick question?...I am using a dual boot configuration with Windows98 2nd edition and Knoppix (both on harddrive). The security patch killed my ability to dialup with Knoppix (as discussed before in the forum). I have tried the sudo mii-tool -r trick with no luck.
If I install another network card will Windows98 (with security patch installed already) overwrite the eeprom again or would this be a workable solution to get Knoppix up and dialing again?
Thanks in advance for assistance.
Regards, Dave
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix, Network card eeprom and Windows98 Security Upda

Originally Posted by
Davetron
If I install another network card will Windows98 (with security patch installed already) overwrite the eeprom again or would this be a workable solution to get Knoppix up and dialing again?
Wish I could give you a good answer. Can't, but I would like to make a few suggestions. When you do install the network card, boot into Knoppix before you ever run Windows. At least that way you'll have a good baseline and know for sure that Knoppix works with that NIC in it's normal form. You might also want to have downloaded and compiled the tools from http://www.scyld.com/diag/index.html so that you can run them and record your eeprom (both to confirm it changes if it indeed does, and so that you have a record of what it should be to restore it). Of course, you can download from Windows and then compile with Knoppix on the current system before you install the new NIC.
And please report back here what happens. My expectation is that the NIC will not get changed again (unless you install some new update). I don't have any experience with any NIC problems under Win98, but then again I've never installed any of the updates either. Wish I had done the same for WinXp and my notebook.
By the way, for anyone in the U.S. seeing this problem on a desktop, you can get a free NIC (after rebate) at OfficeMax this week. Might make it a good time to put in a NIC that will boot Knoppix correctly.
-
Appreciate the response...I will let you know what happens.
Thanks again,
Dave
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Good Luck. Try to remember to put the Knoppix CD in the drive before shutting down to install the NIC, and have the BIOS enabled to boot from CD before the hard drive, so that there is less chance that Windows gets to run before you get a look at the new card and Knoppix.
Similar Threads
-
By floibler in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 07:34 PM
-
By ezuk in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-22-2004, 06:42 AM
-
By gill1109 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 05:20 AM
-
By vengapir8 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 34
Last Post: 06-17-2003, 11:12 PM
-
By Anssi in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-29-2003, 06:38 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Apple IIe Vintage Computer A2S2064 Powers On Apple II Untested For Parts/repair
$149.99

Vintage Apple Extended Keyboard- M0115 - no cord
$49.99

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99

Vintage Apple Color RGB Color Monitor A2M6014. Used.
$199.99