Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't Boot into GUI

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14

    Can't Boot into GUI

    I didn't shut down cleanly, whilst rebooting the system does a fschk and loads ok including until the point where the GUI should load to log in, but stays in command line mode.

    How can I get the gui back?
    Sorry another noob that needs rescuing!

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Ok....

    I googled a little and found a command to reconfigure the GUI,

    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
    then;

    Code:
    startx
    Happy Days

    Just a few screwed up fonts to fix up now, also when I logout the restart and change user option has dissapeared and goes to command line again.
    Any suggestions to fix that up anyone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    I think I always just pressed "ctrl-d" when it did a fix in fsck on ext3. It should then reboot and load normally. But maybe you're saying that you tried rebooting and it kept doing this?

    This is one reason I like the reiserFS...it loads right up after running a fix.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14
    Thanks Champ,

    Sometimes the obvious escapes me! Reboot fixed fonts and options menu.

    I had been trying to change the screen resolution beforehand and must have messed up something in there, I couldn't access the display configuration in control center, someone suggested; xf86cfg from a console, that brought a graphic to make changes.
    The odd thing was that the display settings in control center were accesible when I fixed the x server, but now it has dissapeared again.

    Anyway back to normal again;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS MicroATX LGA1151 Intel DDR4 2 DIMM M.2 PCIe. READ DETAILS picture

MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS MicroATX LGA1151 Intel DDR4 2 DIMM M.2 PCIe. READ DETAILS

$41.12



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99