-
Running WinXP/Knoppix off of same hard drive
I'm essentially a Linux n00b, I played around with RedHat 6 a year ago, but my friend showed me Knoppix on his machine and I fell in love.
Anyways, my question is, is it possible to run Linux and WinXP off of the same hard drive on different partitions? If so, is there any way for me to create a new partition with a different filesystem without having to reformat?
I don't have the rescue/repair disc for my XP, so I'm a bit worried about it 
Any help would be appreciated
-bluethunder
-
XP and knoppix on one PC
Hey, It is possible to use both operating systems on one pc, just create a new bootable partition with "powerquest partition magic" (<snip>) when you boot, you can choose the OS you want to use!
I do it and it works 
edit by admin : no warez talk on this forum please.
-
Hmm, thanks for the help, I'll look into it
-
Are there any freeware/opensource partition managers like Partition Magic that are available?
-
Senior Member
registered user
If you are using NTFS, then your only option is Partition Magic or some other commercial tool that will do this (You'll have to check which version of Partition Magic supports resizing NTFS - either 7 or 8 I think.) If you have are using FAT, you can use something like Parted.
Hope this helps.
-
I tried to do it using Partition Magic Pro 7, when it rebooted into WinXP to repartition the drive, it told me it was "locked"...
Also, I'm having troubles getting the root password, I got drivers for my WinModem, but I can't install it without the password.
-
You might wanna try partition magic 8.0 <snip>
it works fine with me... but i use fat 32, ntfs uses system space and i need all space i can have
good luck
<admin edit : PLEASE don't link to warez. >
-
I get a similar problem. It tells me invalid password when i try to su as the super user . Can anyone tell me whats the root password in Knoppix.
It certainly is something ( Although knoppix readme_security.txt file says there is'nt)
-
use this command before any command for example sudo ls -l
or sudo mount /etc
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1, you are at one of four Root prompts (F1-F4.) To get back to GUI, Alt-F5.
--To bring up a root prompt in GUI, start rxvt or Konsole or whatever, and ' sudo bash '.

Originally Posted by
Pat
I get a similar problem. It tells me invalid password when i try to su as the super user . Can anyone tell me whats the root password in Knoppix.
It certainly is something ( Although knoppix readme_security.txt file says there is'nt)
Similar Threads
-
By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By MrGreen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 09-01-2004, 07:52 AM
-
By tony177 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-12-2004, 07:57 AM
-
By ob_seven in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:04 AM
-
By Kethinov in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72