Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: eMachines m6805 AMD64...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3

    eMachines m6805 AMD64...

    Hello - I am considering getting the eMachines m6805 Laptop with the AMD64 processor, and I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts this:
    I want to wipe Window$ XP Home and do a HD install.
    Does Knoppix work on this machine (with no tweaks)?
    Does Knoppix support a 64-bit processor?
    Is there a distro which will take advantage of the 64-bit processor?

    Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    knoppix should work, and there's no harm in trying anyway... The wireless network card might not bew supported, and you'd need to pull some tricks such as loading it off a floppy or hard drive installing knoppix and then setup the network card. I know the linux driver for that card exists, just don't know if knoppix has it...

    It won't take advantage of the 64 bit CPU though. For that you should use gentoo/suse/debian/redhat/mandrake- any of those have versions that are specifically for AMD64.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1
    I just bought an m6805, burned a shiny new KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso, put it in the drive and rebooted.

    It got to APM, then stopped cold. I added the noapm cheatcode, it still stopped. Tried failsafe, still no go.

    I haven't given up, and I'll post back here if I get it to work.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3
    I got the m6508 - these cheat codes will work:
    knoppix noapm nopcmcia noaudio (optional)

    Those should let you boot. I still have not gotten the Wireless to work yet...

    Perhaps we'll have to wait until more people who are more knowledgable to get this machine and test and fix...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bmann
    I just bought an m6805, burned a shiny new KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-16-EN.iso, put it in the drive and rebooted.

    It got to APM, then stopped cold. I added the noapm cheatcode, it still stopped. Tried failsafe, still no go.

    I haven't given up, and I'll post back here if I get it to work.

    Same thing here I got the thing to go past the APM but then had problems with the Pcmcia Card Manager to start

    Tried
    Knoppix noapm
    Knoppix noapm failsafe

    I even tried setting a smaller screen resolution....

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    knoppix should work, and there's no harm in trying anyway... The wireless network card might not bew supported, and you'd need to pull some tricks such as loading it off a floppy or hard drive installing knoppix and then setup the network card. I know the linux driver for that card exists, just don't know if knoppix has it...

    It won't take advantage of the 64 bit CPU though. For that you should use gentoo/suse/debian/redhat/mandrake- any of those have versions that are specifically for AMD64.
    It's a broadcom Chipset... The Driverloader should work but all my attempts at my older Compaq armada laptop and a Linksys g card failed....

    It hated me, Wouldnt install

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    9
    Tried it

    Knoppix noapm nopcmcia
    boots fine... dont like via's sound... keeps making noise

    tried it without the Noapm and works... seems like the wlan on the minipci card bus or the pcmcia in general is hated by linux

    and no usb optical mouse works although it loads the usb drivers ok
    NO Onboard Nic.... (Linux drivers on Hd for onboard nic.... I missed them at first glance)
    .... I dunno

    I want it to work... esp with my wireless but the pcibus is a pain


    3.4 c't loads pci just fine... Cant get nic drivers installed and still unsupported audio noise... I cant ever get things to install.... Read only file system

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    read-only filesystem = running from CD-rom

    Remastering or hdd-installing could work around some of these driver issues. If anyone posts the drivers needed I'll try to add them to my 3.4 C't remastered CD.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1

    eMachines m6805 AMD64...

    I'm considering buying an e-machines M6805 for almost exclusive linux use (32-bit legacy mode is fine for now). I'm curious, are people happy with these machines when running knoppix (and/or linux distros)?

    thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Emachines 6809
    By l00ph0le in forum Laptops
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 11:00 PM
  2. 3.6 freeze on eMachines M5310
    By atrick-pay in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 07:01 AM
  3. knoppix 3.3 & AMD64
    By forneus in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 06:09 AM
  4. emachines laptop
    By siralston in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 02:00 PM
  5. Problems with Emachines m5305
    By amiramir in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 01:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00