To set the password. Click on the penguin icon then open a root shell. Type the command:
type in your new password (twice, error checking). Now you should be able to get past the password screen.Code:passwd
johnb
Hi, im trying to install a driver for my wireless card, but when i try to it asks me for a password, I have seen on the window that comes up when i first boot into knoppix that there is no password, its all been disabled or something like that. what can i do? its annoying me that I have to wire my laptop to get on the net atm, so wot can I do about the password? cheers,
the driver for my wireless card is off this topic http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
I have got the driver off the first link there, as wel as the link off the second page. i havent tryed the second one, but i gues it wil ask for the same thing, any help is gr8!
cheers!
To set the password. Click on the penguin icon then open a root shell. Type the command:
type in your new password (twice, error checking). Now you should be able to get past the password screen.Code:passwd
johnb
Thanks alot! Worked a treat! Though the file wont install now....
Meddigo Flame,
1 st Question: Are you running off the CD, or have you done a Hard Drive Install
Some things can't be done if you are just booting the CD ROM, but, some have been able to do a lot of things, that I didn't think you could do. But, we need to get a foundation of how your system is setup first.
So, first oder of business, do you boot Knoppix from the CD, or from your hard drive ?
Thanks,
Cuddles
hey cuddles,
yeh i am booting from cd. out of interest, hw much space does a harddrive installation take up and can i dual boot if i use sumit like power quests dual boot prog??
No clue on the dual-boot issue, but...
Documentation I have on HD Installing Knoppix - Minimum Requirements:
Pentium-Class processor, preferably 300MHz +
64MB RAM
A spare partition on your disk, minimum 3GB
And the Knoppix CD
From my documentation - 3.GB is then broken down into Linux and Linux Swap:
Swap partition is recommended at minimum of 256MB
Linux partition is recommended at minimum of 2.5GB - don't know where 256MB went in their calculation
As far as the dual-boot though, I do know that Knoppix prefers to use LILO, and can be cantancurous if it isn't using it - maybe LILO can be setup to boot Knoppix and your other boot manager( I don't know this one )
Cuddles
hi
Dual boot is not a problem with knoppix in my experience. Llilo takes care of the job. No problems booting into linux or windows. I have installed a dual boot on 4 different computers including a laptop. Each computer had only one hard drive. They all needed their different cheat codes to make them happy...
I just did a "debian" style hard drive install(knoppix-installer) with an apt-get dist-upgrade after booting the computer. The full upgraded install was 2.7 gigs. This dosn't include the swap partition(usually twice your ram). I also run the knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver from the hard drive. Which at this point means copying the knoppix cd to the hard drive. You would also need to include space for all your own files(music, work, additional programs, ect).
johnb

Vintage Computer Sun Ultra 1 UltraSpark Driven - Mystery condition as-is Parts
$49.78
Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00
Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2113A 21MX 1000 E-SERIES MINICOMPUTER CHASSIS BACKPLANE
$249.00
NWT Vintage TUMI Safecase Deluxe Adjustable Computer Brief Bag 2632 w/ Sleeve
$449.50
Bering OptiPac 3315 OPT 401 205 HP / IBM Vintage Storage PC Computer 1983 3.5”
$100.00
Lot of 4 Vintage Intel i486 DX2 CPU Processors for Gold Scrap Recovery
$99.99
NCR System 3000 UNIX SVR4 MP-RAS Administrator Guide Manual D1-2266-E Vintage
$200.00
Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used
$55.99
🔥 RARE VINTAGE HP 2112A 21MX M-SERIES 16-BIT MINICOMPUTER HP
$299.99