Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Laptop's temperature and otheres..

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4

    Laptop's temperature and otheres..

    Hi guys! I gotta say that Knoppix is VERY cool. I've been using Linux for quite a while, currently I'm using Gentoo at home and told my teachers to _buy_ Knoppix (whoohoo) at school =) Anyway. I have a little problem with my laptop.
    It's an Acer Aspier 1300 with Athlon XP 1400+. In Windows it runs @ 1.2 Ghz sometimes, and @ 450Mhz sometimes (when on battery). The problem is that Knoppix doesn't detect when I switch to battery and as a result, I run out of power in quite short time. And another problem (almost more important then that battery stuff) is that the fan is never ON! And that makes the CPU quite warm after a while, and since I'm afraid of my new laptop I have to shut it down after 15 minutes or so.... What can I do to see the temperatre?? gKrellm?? Actually I never had to check it since my old desktop is to old to check its CPU's temp... But now I *have* to check it!
    What can I do to get it working?? Please help me since I want to use Knoppix but I *don't* want to burn my CPU =)
    Cheers,
    Jacob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    how do you have this working in gentoo ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4
    Ohh I don't I have Gentoo on my desktop. But as far as I can see from Gentoo forums, guys use /proc/acpi . And Knoppix only has APM as far as I know...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    As for the speed switching, I'm not sure if linux currently supports this ( at least not in the 2.4.x series ).. As for the fan, my laptops fan switches on and off automatically, without acpi.. Maybe check your bios to see if you can enable APM and use that instaed of ACPI. Also, it would be very strage if your hardware didn't control the fan automatically, and relied on the OS to do this.. What would happen if Windows crashd and didn't start the fan up?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4
    Yea, you're right. The problem is that the BIOS is kinda strange...I can only set the time, date and which device I want to boot from =) Nothing else...I guess it must be some way to access stuff like ports, memory, fan control, thermal zones and so on from BIOS.
    And now when you said this, it came on my mind that even while Windows's booting up the fan goes on and works for a while just to cool down the CPU a bit. So it might be hardware-detected.
    Thanks eadz, your help is appriciated.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    Maybe you can convince Christian to port Speedswitch XP to Linux?
    http://www.diefer.de/speedswitchxp/index.html

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Posts
    4
    Holy shit...It would be nice to have something like that! But there's something I don't get...it *must* be something like SpeedswitchXP for Linux...It has to.... If not, then it's the first Windows app which doesn't has anything similar in Linux, I think.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    I know for Dell laptops there are also the i8kutils that let you monitor the temp and fans.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    http://www.goof.com/pcg/marc/speedstep.html

    This may help.
    Also you may be able to get temp readings by installing the sensors package for linux and compiling the modules for the sensor in your laptop. On my router, I have this reading:

    [root@router root]# sensors
    via686a-isa-6000
    Adapter: ISA adapter
    Algorithm: ISA algorithm
    CPU core: +1.47 V (min = +1.50 V, max = +2.49 V) ALARM
    +2.5V: +2.46 V (min = +2.24 V, max = +2.74 V)
    I/O: +3.30 V (min = +2.95 V, max = +3.62 V)
    +5V: +5.02 V (min = +4.47 V, max = +5.49 V)
    +12V: +11.57 V (min = +10.79 V, max = +13.18 V)
    CPU Fan: 2812 RPM (min = 0 RPM, div = 2)
    P/S Fan: 0 RPM (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
    CPU Temp: +54.1°C (limit = +60°C, hysteresis = +55°C)
    SYS Temp: +41.8°C (limit = +45°C, hysteresis = +40°C)

Similar Threads

  1. CPU temperature readings from lm-sensors - seem too high?
    By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
  2. a silly *temperature* question
    By andrei in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 07:01 PM
  3. lm-sensors for temperature monitoring
    By oscar in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517 picture

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517

$1249.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99