Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix as a multimedia server?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    Knoppix as a multimedia server?

    I got an extra box, so I installed Knoppix 3.3 on it.

    I want to set it up as a multimedia server, and have no keyboard, mouse, or crt to it. Basically play ogg/mp3s thru my home stereo via another computer.

    Could anyone recommend like a desktop emulator to do this under Linux?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Try running a vncserver so you can work grapically from another computer with your knoppix desktop in a vnc client window.

    I think the command to start a vncserver is something like

    vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 hostname:1

    Then you'd run a vnc client on another computer and connect to hostname:1

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Any special settings for X?

    How is the connection made, SSH? Do I have to do anything special to set that up?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Knoppix as a multimedia server?

    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    I got an extra box, so I installed Knoppix 3.3 on it.

    I want to set it up as a multimedia server, and have no keyboard, mouse, or crt to it. Basically play ogg/mp3s thru my home stereo via another computer.

    Could anyone recommend like a desktop emulator to do this under Linux?

    thanks
    I used to have a setup like this. I would ssh into the media box and play tunes via mp3blaster (you can apt-get it). Mp3blaster is a very cool ncurses mp3/ogg player. Of course if you can ssh into it and it is a reasonably fast box, you could also run a gui app like rhythmbox (which is a great multimedia jukebox). Another option is running something like Zina or Netjuke. That way you could access the media box from any machine on your network with a browser. You can find Zina and Netjuke at the following pages.

    http://www.pancake.org/zina.html
    http://netjuke.sourceforge.net/

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    ah ya, streaming audio.

    I could also set that up on this box, since I have pretty decent hardware.

    thanks for the idea.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I just start GDM on my xbox and on my desktop 'X -query ip_address' of it to login to it and run whatever program there. audio is easy as it defaults to that machine(needs to install esound if I want it to go to my machine). For video, have to tell it to use the frame buffer console instead, so I watch DVD/VCD on TV through xbox, controlled from my PC.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I should have mentioned this before, but another option you will want to check out (especially if this is going to be a dedicated box) is Knoppmyth even though Knoppmyth is tv/video oriented it also can be used soley to play music. It has a great interface too. I'm planning on building one of these boxes as soon as I get enough money for the pvr-350 tv card.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    Re: Knoppix as a multimedia server?

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Quote Originally Posted by JockVSJock
    I got an extra box, so I installed Knoppix 3.3 on it.

    I want to set it up as a multimedia server, and have no keyboard, mouse, or crt to it. Basically play ogg/mp3s thru my home stereo via another computer.

    Could anyone recommend like a desktop emulator to do this under Linux?

    thanks
    I used to have a setup like this. I would ssh into the media box and play tunes via mp3blaster (you can apt-get it). Mp3blaster is a very cool ncurses mp3/ogg player. Of course if you can ssh into it and it is a reasonably fast box, you could also run a gui app like rhythmbox (which is a great multimedia jukebox). Another option is running something like Zina or Netjuke. That way you could access the media box from any machine on your network with a browser. You can find Zina and Netjuke at the following pages.

    http://www.pancake.org/zina.html
    http://netjuke.sourceforge.net/

    Thanks for the tip on mp3blater, I have been using that for the last few days to play audio. Just ssh into the box and running it and it works like a charm.

    When I get more time, I do want to setup the other apps that you and others have mentioned in this thread.

    thanks again

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by arkaine23
    Try running a vncserver so you can work grapically from another computer with your knoppix desktop in a vnc client window.

    I think the command to start a vncserver is something like

    vncserver -geomtery 1024x768 hostname:1

    Then you'd run a vnc client on another computer and connect to hostname:1
    What about using KDE Desktop Manager, I was looking thru a few past threads on the forum and found that.

    Is there like a step-by-step direction for using this from both Linux/Windows box using SSH?

    thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Booting from USB-Key or Multimedia card
    By tommydl in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 01:33 PM
  2. Multimedia-Keyboards with HOTKEYS during startup?
    By stefan741 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:10 PM
  3. Multimedia tips.
    By aay in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2003, 11:35 AM
  4. minimalist multimedia programs
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 12:37 PM
  5. Knoppix Multimedia @ opensourcelab.it
    By escherian in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2003, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series picture

ASUS PRIME Z890-P WIFI Z890 LGA 1851 ATX motherboard, Intel® Core™ Ultra Series

$235.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99