-
Senior Member
registered user
help with apt-get "sneakernet"
I only have a dial up connection at home but have a very fast connection at work. Even doing an apt-get update at home on a new install is very painful over dialup, as it takes about one hour, and this is not even installing software yet.
I want to download (using apt-get) at work on my laptop, then take my laptop home and copy the files I obtained using apt-get to my home PC using the LAN. So far, here is my plan.
After running apt-get update at work, I will copy /etc/apt/sources.list and /var/cache/apt/*.bin from the work machine to the same location on the home machine. At this point, the sources for each should by synchronized, and I am assuming I could do an "apt-get install pine" on the home pc without running "apt-get update" first.
My first question is, does this seem correct so far?
Next I would like to install packages in the same fashion. I want to perform an "apt-get mplayer-i386" at work, and then take the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives to the development pc.
My second question is, what is the best way to install these files after copying them to the home pc? I would imagine that dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/* might work, but it sounds sort of ugly, and I don't know that it would work consistently for my purposes (if at all).
Is there a way to put the files in temp, and let apt-get (or dpkg) know that this is the new location for mplayer-i386?
Thanks in advance,
Paul
Similar Threads
-
By oman in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
-
By Al Hayes in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By geebee2000 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-21-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller
$499.99