Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Grub/lilo boot problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Grub/lilo boot problems

    I made a new computer (yay), and proceeded install the Fedora Core. After playing with it for a little while, I thought "No, I don't think so", and did a hard disk install of my trusted knoppix CD (which served me so well in the past).

    Everything was fine until reboot time, when it booted into grub, and stayed there. No kernel or os booted, I just got this grub prompt.
    It goes into knoppix when I use the boot floppy, but not when it boots from hd. I'm assuming this is because Fedora wrote a boot sector that wasn't deleted by the knoppix install.

    I tried looking into fdisk and cfdisk to see if I could wipe the hd and start again, but all the talk of cylinders and partitions confused me. If you write a partition, does it delete all data on the hd?

    I also tried uninstalling grub using dselect. I assume that the grub that I uninstalled was a debian grub, not the one that is booting my system.

    Is there an easy way to make the hd blank, as new, so that I can install knoppix again? Or a way to make lilo boot instead of this grub thing?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Did you let the knoppix installer proceed with lilo? If so, it might be installed, but another boot partition may be left active from fedora. Check with (c)fdisk that the partition onto which you installed knoppix is (the only one) marked active. If that does not suffice, post the result of "fdisk -l", and possibly your /etc/lilo.conf file. Alternatively, you could also edit the menu.lst file from your apparently working grub copy, and add your knoppix kernel there...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    I did see a boot partition for fedora on cfdisk, but I deleted all partitions and rewrote two partitions, one for the swap and one for the main.

    Should I have written the deletion before I wrote the new partition system? I thought writing a new partition system would do that anyway.
    I set the main partition (not the swap) to be the boot partition, so I don't see where the problem is.

Similar Threads

  1. Grub of Lilo for 3.7?
    By nhoxanh in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 10:43 AM
  2. HD install, LILO to GRUB conversion, boot error message.
    By ocean in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
  3. lilo to grub???
    By phantomshado in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:45 AM
  4. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  5. how to set up lilo of grub..
    By jamesgf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 05:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00