-
Junior Member
registered user
Lilo install to MBR fails
Don't know if I'm doing something wrong so here is my deal...
had a dual boot of Java Desktop and Xandros 2 on my pc, booting with the Xandros Lilo install
Formated the drive with Partition magic 8 and decided to install Knoppix 3.3 to the harddrive
Xandros Boot menu continued to show,
Installed Windows XP, Formated upon finished (to rewirte the MBR, I'm sure there was an easier way... but alas)
install Knoppix to HD, worked fine, however Lilo does not install to the MBR, have to boot from a floppy...
I am not experiance enough to get this to work, I've installed Knoppix like 5 times trying to get this to work... can anyone help me out?
I want to be able to boot from the HD instead of the floppy.
-
Boot your computer using the knoppix cd, then look at /etc/lilo.conf on the drive where you installed. You can find some explanation and an example here. Check if the settings are correct, save the changed lilo.conf and quit you text editor. Then run lilo to install it.
If you can't figure it out, post the lilo.conf here.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I'll give it a try when I get home...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Boot Knoppix
mount /dev/hdx? /mnt/hdx? (wherever you install Knoppix to)
Do not use the desktop icons to mount your hdd- do it by hand!!
chroot /mnt/hdx?
lilo.conf needs to say:
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdx? (wherever you installed knoppix to)
Then just rerun lilo:
lilo
If you see errors then reedit lilo.conf
-
Junior Member
registered user
Boot from the hd install or the CD?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
devilotx
Boot from the hd install or the CD?
OK I can see how I may not have been too clear. Knoppix is a cd- nothing more nothing less. When you install it is Debian. Boot the cd. Conversely you can just boot your hdd install and rerun lilo after editing as well. Whatever works for you.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I get this error:
root@Knoppix:/etc# lilo
Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed
Fatal: geo_query_dev HDIO_GETGEO (dev 0x0300): Invalid argument
root@Knoppix:/etc#
And this is my Lilo.conf file...
boot=/dev/hda
vga=791
prompt
timeout=50
append = "hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
label=knoppix
root=/dev/hdb1
read-only
initrd=/boot/initrd.gz
## A Windows installation, example for partition 1 on first IDE harddisk
# other=/dev/hda1
# label=dos
# optional
# table=/dev/hda
__________________
-
Senior Member
registered user
If your lilo.conf is to be beleived you have 2 hard drives and knoppix is installed to the primary slave. Is that correct?
Also you would normally have 2 other entries in lilo.conf:
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
-
Senior Member
registered user
I think it's trying to boot from hda, which is bios. Try booting from cd , mounting the hard drive:
open a root shell
mount /dev/hdbx /mnt/hdbx
replacing x with the partition number of the linux partition.
Edit /etc/lilo.conf and change
boot=/dev/hda to
boot=/dev/hdb (no partition #)
save and exit from the editor then :
chroot /mnt/hdb2
lilo
logout, remove cd reboot.
Note: You will also have to change the lilo.conf references to the windblows partition to hdb1 rather than hda
HTH
-
Junior Member
registered user
One hard drive partitioned, 25 gigs for linux, 1.5 gigs for swap and about 28 gigs unpartitioned space.
Windows is not installed on this comptuer...
I will give your ideas a shot though, see what I can get dug up, Too bad I couldn't just load the boot floppy that I've been using to the MBR.. that would be nice...
Similar Threads
-
By bazfum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 09:04 PM
-
By g-joey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-03-2004, 05:38 PM
-
By kpf8655 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-02-2004, 01:13 PM
-
By zero_divide_1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 07:06 AM
-
By cr8dle2grave in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 06:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM
$139.99

Lot of 18 Mixed Brands PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM
$2879.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Lot of 50 Micron PC4 32GB 2400T-R Server RAM - Used
$8499.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$289.80

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55