Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: DVD stutters...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4

    DVD stutters...

    after just 'happening' on a fix for my DVD player to run in xine (apt-get install libdvdcss2) on the Mepis Linux site, I tried it in Knoppix (another Debian...) and sho' nuff, it works! but the image stutters, hitches, hiccups a bit (can you tell I really don't know how to describe this?) It's like really bad streaming video from the 'net...

    Any ideas on how to even this out; make it smoother?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    You need to enable DMA on your dvd drive. For example, if your dvd drive is hdc:

    hdparm -v /dev/hdc

    will tell you if DMA is on.

    hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    will turn on DMA.

    To enable DMA at boot time:

    apt-get install hwtools

    kwrite /etc/init.d/hwtools

    Add this line just above "true" under "hdparm optimization":

    hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    The above command will then be run to turn on DMA during boot up. There is probably a better way to turn on at boot time, but the above works.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    That has done the trick!

    Thanks so much for that INCREDIBLY speedy reply!

    Mick

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    I spoke too soon...

    That works great to get DMA enabled while Knoppix is running, but the enabling at boot time didn't seem to 'take' (even after rebooting)

    Did I miss something that I could have done during install?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by mick
    I spoke too soon...

    That works great to get DMA enabled while Knoppix is running, but the enabling at boot time didn't seem to 'take' (even after rebooting)

    Did I miss something that I could have done during install?
    If you edited the file suggested above then it was not used when you rebooted. You need to edit either the file /etc/default/hdparm (if still using the older version) or /etc/hdparm.conf and put something like this at the bottom of the file:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc  {
                    dma = on
    }
    I'm not sure if the syntax is correct for the older version it's been a while since the change was made and it seems to have deleted the old one from my install you may want to upgrade the package to the newer version to prevent editing again when the upgrade happens to you eventually anyways.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    It is great to know how to turn on DMA using hdparm.conf.

    It is strange that hwtools method doesn't work though. It works for me. I use the standard Knoppix initscripts and the DMA command is run during boot up after installing the hwtools package and editing the hwtools file as described above.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Back again -

    Well, after much experimentation, I have to admit (sheepishly) that the mistake was not Knoppix - it was me.

    When I typed in the changes as per your instructions, I forgot that my DVD is hdd - not hdc (as is yours). When I discovered the problem, retyped and rebooted, Xine played LOTR without a hitch.

    Thanks for all of your help

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am having the same problem with a "stuttering DVD". My dvd is /dev/scd0, but when I run this command I get the following error...

    root@wally:/debs# hdparm -v /dev/scd0
    /dev/scd0 not supported by hdparm

    The drive is a compaq IDE dvd drive. Anyone else run into this?

    Regards,

    ~paul

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    I am having the same problem with a "stuttering DVD". My dvd is /dev/scd0, but when I run this command I get the following error...

    root@wally:/debs# hdparm -v /dev/scd0
    /dev/scd0 not supported by hdparm

    The drive is a compaq IDE dvd drive. Anyone else run into this?

    Regards,

    ~paul
    You do not do it on the scsi emulated device but the /dev/hd? that the device is before the emulation happens then it turns on the dma for you on the drive and it is then continued to be used when the emulation takes place.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Good information...

    How do I tell which /dev/hd? I should be using?

    tia,

    paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99



HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$140.00