Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: DVD stutters...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4

    DVD stutters...

    after just 'happening' on a fix for my DVD player to run in xine (apt-get install libdvdcss2) on the Mepis Linux site, I tried it in Knoppix (another Debian...) and sho' nuff, it works! but the image stutters, hitches, hiccups a bit (can you tell I really don't know how to describe this?) It's like really bad streaming video from the 'net...

    Any ideas on how to even this out; make it smoother?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    You need to enable DMA on your dvd drive. For example, if your dvd drive is hdc:

    hdparm -v /dev/hdc

    will tell you if DMA is on.

    hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    will turn on DMA.

    To enable DMA at boot time:

    apt-get install hwtools

    kwrite /etc/init.d/hwtools

    Add this line just above "true" under "hdparm optimization":

    hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc

    The above command will then be run to turn on DMA during boot up. There is probably a better way to turn on at boot time, but the above works.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    That has done the trick!

    Thanks so much for that INCREDIBLY speedy reply!

    Mick

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    I spoke too soon...

    That works great to get DMA enabled while Knoppix is running, but the enabling at boot time didn't seem to 'take' (even after rebooting)

    Did I miss something that I could have done during install?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by mick
    I spoke too soon...

    That works great to get DMA enabled while Knoppix is running, but the enabling at boot time didn't seem to 'take' (even after rebooting)

    Did I miss something that I could have done during install?
    If you edited the file suggested above then it was not used when you rebooted. You need to edit either the file /etc/default/hdparm (if still using the older version) or /etc/hdparm.conf and put something like this at the bottom of the file:
    Code:
    /dev/hdc  {
                    dma = on
    }
    I'm not sure if the syntax is correct for the older version it's been a while since the change was made and it seems to have deleted the old one from my install you may want to upgrade the package to the newer version to prevent editing again when the upgrade happens to you eventually anyways.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    It is great to know how to turn on DMA using hdparm.conf.

    It is strange that hwtools method doesn't work though. It works for me. I use the standard Knoppix initscripts and the DMA command is run during boot up after installing the hwtools package and editing the hwtools file as described above.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4
    Back again -

    Well, after much experimentation, I have to admit (sheepishly) that the mistake was not Knoppix - it was me.

    When I typed in the changes as per your instructions, I forgot that my DVD is hdd - not hdc (as is yours). When I discovered the problem, retyped and rebooted, Xine played LOTR without a hitch.

    Thanks for all of your help

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I am having the same problem with a "stuttering DVD". My dvd is /dev/scd0, but when I run this command I get the following error...

    root@wally:/debs# hdparm -v /dev/scd0
    /dev/scd0 not supported by hdparm

    The drive is a compaq IDE dvd drive. Anyone else run into this?

    Regards,

    ~paul

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    I am having the same problem with a "stuttering DVD". My dvd is /dev/scd0, but when I run this command I get the following error...

    root@wally:/debs# hdparm -v /dev/scd0
    /dev/scd0 not supported by hdparm

    The drive is a compaq IDE dvd drive. Anyone else run into this?

    Regards,

    ~paul
    You do not do it on the scsi emulated device but the /dev/hd? that the device is before the emulation happens then it turns on the dma for you on the drive and it is then continued to be used when the emulation takes place.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Good information...

    How do I tell which /dev/hd? I should be using?

    tia,

    paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$400.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98