Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Multibooting

  1. #1

    Multibooting

    I currently have Windows XP home installed, I want to install knoppix on my hard drive so I can use it as I please without the CD, how would I go about doing this, without getting rid of the windows partition? Would I have to make a new partition? And how would I boot to Knoppix?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    Hi:

    Ok, you can install if on your hard disk. The only problem is partitions.

    Well, if you have partition manager you can resize your Xp partition and then create two new partiotions:

    1- at least 2.5GB to install knoppix (ext3, raiserfs...)
    2- at least 385Mb swapp (swapp linux)

    Then you run your knoppix cd and when started, do:

    ctr + Alt +F1

    #sudo su
    #knx-hdinstall

    Select the correct settings, and then it would be installed.

    You have to select install lilo (when asked, select yes) and install it on the MBR. It would let you select linux or windows during boot.

    Finally, reboot and you'll see the lilo boot menu.

    If you don't have partition magic, you can use Qtparted. in konsole do:

    #su
    #qtparted

    And then, resize, create new partitions...

    Good luck

  3. #3
    So what is the minimum amount of space that I need to allocate to knoppix?

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    Hi:

    ok, for the minimun installation (all the programs contained in the Cd) and to have a few free space, I recommend 3GB:

    - 385 swapp
    - rest for installation

    If you have done the partitions before typing knx-hdinstall, they would be detected automatically.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Micron 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1QG ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

Micron 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6E1QG ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$240.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



Samsung 32GB (2 x 16GB) PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A2K43BB1-CTD7Q picture

Samsung 32GB (2 x 16GB) PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A2K43BB1-CTD7Q

$169.95



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



Samsung 32GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC Registered PC4-2666V M393A4K40CB2-CTD7Y picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 RDIMM ECC Registered PC4-2666V M393A4K40CB2-CTD7Y

$175.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99



SK Hynix 32GB 2Rx4 PC4–2666V HMA84GR7CJR4N–VK ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2Rx4 PC4–2666V HMA84GR7CJR4N–VK ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$240.00