-
Multibooting
I currently have Windows XP home installed, I want to install knoppix on my hard drive so I can use it as I please without the CD, how would I go about doing this, without getting rid of the windows partition? Would I have to make a new partition? And how would I boot to Knoppix?
Thanks.
-
Hi:
Ok, you can install if on your hard disk. The only problem is partitions.
Well, if you have partition manager you can resize your Xp partition and then create two new partiotions:
1- at least 2.5GB to install knoppix (ext3, raiserfs...)
2- at least 385Mb swapp (swapp linux)
Then you run your knoppix cd and when started, do:
ctr + Alt +F1
#sudo su
#knx-hdinstall
Select the correct settings, and then it would be installed.
You have to select install lilo (when asked, select yes) and install it on the MBR. It would let you select linux or windows during boot.
Finally, reboot and you'll see the lilo boot menu.
If you don't have partition magic, you can use Qtparted. in konsole do:
#su
#qtparted
And then, resize, create new partitions...
Good luck
-
So what is the minimum amount of space that I need to allocate to knoppix?
-
Hi:
ok, for the minimun installation (all the programs contained in the Cd) and to have a few free space, I recommend 3GB:
- 385 swapp
- rest for installation
If you have done the partitions before typing knx-hdinstall, they would be detected automatically.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

Intel Core i7-10700K 8-Core 3.80GHz LGA1200 CPU SRH72 i7-10700K
$75.00

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00

Lenovo ThinkSmart Hub 500 10V50000US All-in-One i5 8GB 128GB Win10 NEW SEALED
$259.00

MacBook Air 13" Apple M1 8-core - 8-core GPU • 512 GB • RAM 8GB Very Good Cond
$450.00

Intel Core i9-11900K 3.5GHz 8-Core 16-Thread LGA1200 Desktop CPU Processor(3536)
$249.99

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99

WHOOP TAB-8US2 8" Quad Core, 4G, 32 GB SSD, 3 GB RAM, Tablet PC W/Cover Bundle
$59.95

Dell Latitude 7200 Touch Tablet Laptop 12” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$229.99