-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: laptop hd-install with dualboot

Originally Posted by
ping
I'll bet there's an answer already waiting to be found on this forum, but I'm still having problems to figure these matters out
As you can assume I only have one hd which is partitioned into hda1 and hda5. I have winXP on hda1 and only media files on hda5 and both partitions are NTFS. Now I would like to have knoppix installed on the free space(7gb) of my hda5. Is that possible and how? I would also like to share files between os:s.
My main problem is the partitioning the hda5. I assume that lilo shouldn't be saved in mbr but instead in root partition? I think i'll be a lot wiser if I could get some details about the partitioning and anyway I'm grateful for any kind of help.
zap hda5 and turns in into FAT32, that is the only way you can SAFELY share file. Well since you are going to redo the partitioning anyway, just leave some space for linux so hda5 becomes hda5, hda6, hda7 with one of them FAT32 and the rest your liking and install linux(and lilo). After that, just dd the first 512 byte of that partition, copy it to C:\(better put it on the FAT32 and copy from there to C under XP) and add an entry :
linux=c:\hda6_bootsector
where hda6_bootsector is the 512 byte you dd from /dev/hda6 and copy into a file.
Now you have a dual boot under XP and a partition to transfer file in between.
Of course, you can also search the forum about my posts on how to do this without even repartitioning, a few months back. You are lucky as you have 2 partitions, my notebook has only one large one for XP which is also NTFS and I just don't want to repartition.
Similar Threads
-
By Alterscape in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-24-2004, 12:43 AM
-
By spandit in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 03:46 AM
-
By Mr. Chopper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-07-2004, 02:54 AM
-
By coolmos in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 10:37 PM
-
By S.SoLTEK in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21