Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Boot Disks

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3

    Boot Disks

    Just got a copy of KNOPPIX and it fires up just fine on a computer set for CD/ROM booting. However i want to use and learn about it on another computer that won't set for CD/ROM booting. I tried the windows boot disk and the CD would not start automatidally.

    My question is how do I make a boot disk that will auto start the KNOPPIX. I have found a lot of references on making such a floppy but there is not enough info to make one.

    I hope someone can give me the info I need to get it going. NO the computer it works out is out of the question.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Get Smart Boot Manager and you can boot any cd on any machine that isn't capable of booting from cd on its own.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3
    Have taken a look at boot manager and it seems to be more than I want to tackle at this time. So far it appears to leave many unanswered questions on how to complie it. Will keep reading but think I will need a lot more infor on how to do it.

    Oh well if I wanted thintgs easy I would have never got into computers.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    http://morphix.sourceforge.net/modul...?cid=12&lid=28

    follow the above link and download the morphix bootdisk and use dd to write it to a floppy like this.

    (as root)
    dd if=morphixboot_02.img of=/dev/fd0

    HTH

    ~rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    3
    Need more info. Not sure about using dd. What is it and how do you use it. Hopefully I will learn how to do things.

    I suspect it is a linux command but really don't have a clue.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by bftet
    Need more info. Not sure about using dd. What is it and how do you use it. Hopefully I will learn how to do things.

    I suspect it is a linux command but really don't have a clue.

    Thanks
    Simply open a terminal and enter the command as Rock posted it. If you're usng KDE the Konsole is the monitor w/ the shell on it in the taskbar. I would suggest getting very familiar with it.

  7. #7
    i want to use it on the computer at my school. the problem is in the boot sequence the cd is last and the bios is pw protected.
    i tried Smart Boot MAnager but the cdrom does not show up
    its an dell optiplex gx150.
    is there any solution to boot knoppix?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    It's easy to use dd. If you had a floppy image named boot.img then cd into the same directory that boot.img is in and do:

    dd if=boot.img of=/dev/fd0

Similar Threads

  1. disks needs to be checked for consistency
    By FallingStar in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 04:50 AM
  2. 2 hard disks - how to do it
    By xbenchman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 07:19 AM
  4. rawrite and floppy boot disks
    By James in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 04:05 AM
  5. how to get lvm disks to work?
    By sireasoning in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1671.47



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$462.74



Acer Aspire 16 16

Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished

$519.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99