Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't boot from Gag

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2

    Can't boot from Gag

    I've read a few of the 'can't boot' threads here, and have a similar problem. The only thing different is that I don't really want to use lilo. I'm using gag, and like it. When I try to add my debian partition (installed to HD from Knoppix CD) , gag gives me a "no bootable sector" error. I can use it to boot into XP, and BoOS, but not Debian.

    And, please understand (before anyone says "gag is a piece of crap") that I tried lilo, and got the same problem as the other's I've read (It doesn't seem to write to the boot sector: I get 'GRUB' and nothing more.

    Is there a way to just make the Debian partition bootable without the floppy?


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    GAG as far as I know is a 'boot selector', not loader. Meaning it search the partitions for boot sector and boot it(just put that 512 byte in memory and jump to it). So you must install a boot loader and for linux there is 3 as far as I know :

    lilo, grub or syslinux. lilo and grub can handle almost all partition type(where your linux is installed), syslinux is limited to FAT/ISO9660.

    you have to tell lilo/grub to install itself to the partition you have installed linux. Then GAG should see it and boot from it(assuming it is at least that smart rather than checking some 'bootable' flag which is for the ancient MBR usage).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2
    Thanks Garyng,

    I was under the assumtion that lilo was just a boot selector as well. I removed the boot selector lines from the lilo.conf file, and ran lilo. Worked like a charm. Thanks for helping a newbie....

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$759.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$56.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5

HP 240GB Enterprise 5100 PRO 2.5" SATA SSD Solid State Drive MTFDDAK240TCB

$24.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 82% Health

$185.00