-
Can't boot from Gag
I've read a few of the 'can't boot' threads here, and have a similar problem. The only thing different is that I don't really want to use lilo. I'm using gag, and like it. When I try to add my debian partition (installed to HD from Knoppix CD) , gag gives me a "no bootable sector" error. I can use it to boot into XP, and BoOS, but not Debian.
And, please understand (before anyone says "gag is a piece of crap") that I tried lilo, and got the same problem as the other's I've read (It doesn't seem to write to the boot sector: I get 'GRUB' and nothing more.
Is there a way to just make the Debian partition bootable without the floppy?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
GAG as far as I know is a 'boot selector', not loader. Meaning it search the partitions for boot sector and boot it(just put that 512 byte in memory and jump to it). So you must install a boot loader and for linux there is 3 as far as I know :
lilo, grub or syslinux. lilo and grub can handle almost all partition type(where your linux is installed), syslinux is limited to FAT/ISO9660.
you have to tell lilo/grub to install itself to the partition you have installed linux. Then GAG should see it and boot from it(assuming it is at least that smart rather than checking some 'bootable' flag which is for the ancient MBR usage).
-
Thanks Garyng,
I was under the assumtion that lilo was just a boot selector as well. I removed the boot selector lines from the lilo.conf file, and ran lilo. Worked like a charm. Thanks for helping a newbie....
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel SRG17 Core i7-9700T Desktop Processor CPU
$74.99

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6
$14.99

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU
$15.99

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY
$94.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Desktop Processor (3.7GHz, 6 Cores, AM4 CPU) 100-100000065
$125.00

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$69.99

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 11
$1595.00

HP ProDesk 405 G8 Desktop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 5650GE 16GB RAM 512GB SSD W11P
$319.99

INTEL CORE I9-10980XE PROCESSOR | 3.00GHZ | SRGSG
$299.99