Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Boot using Loadlin

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    Boot using Loadlin

    For some reason, I need to create a DOS BOOTABLE rescue disk and wish to put a customized Knoppix on it.

    In the CDROM, I have a directory /KNOPPIX with vmlinuz, miniroot.gz, and KNOPPIX; however, I can't start KNOPPIX using Loadlin on /KNOPPIX with the command like this:

    loadlin vmlinuz initrd=miniroot.gz BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX

    So interesting, if I happen to have a /KNOPPIX with the KNOPPIX file on the C:, KNOPPIX will start.

    The problem I have is that I can't assume I will have enough disk space for the file to be resident. I want the image to be on a DOS Bootable CDROM.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    { B )
    NNNN

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: Boot using Loadlin

    Quote Originally Posted by yuu_shi
    For some reason, I need to create a DOS BOOTABLE rescue disk and wish to put a customized Knoppix on it.

    In the CDROM, I have a directory /KNOPPIX with vmlinuz, miniroot.gz, and KNOPPIX; however, I can't start KNOPPIX using Loadlin on /KNOPPIX with the command like this:

    loadlin vmlinuz initrd=miniroot.gz BOOT_IMAGE=KNOPPIX

    So interesting, if I happen to have a /KNOPPIX with the KNOPPIX file on the C:, KNOPPIX will start.

    The problem I have is that I can't assume I will have enough disk space for the file to be resident. I want the image to be on a DOS Bootable CDROM.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Cheers,
    { B )
    NNNN
    Well, you may have a problem here. The problem is you cannot cram both linux(vmlinuz, initrd etc.) and DOS file into one 1.44MB image(which I believe is what you mean DOS bootable).

    But you don't have to. All you need is just a DOS bootable CD that can see the CD-ROM(after bootup) and the associated files(vmlinuz, initrd etc.). Then you just tell loadlin the usual parameters like KNOPPIX use. The only thing that matter is the big 700MB file must be \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX be it on CD or whatever drive.

    One thing I don't understand though is, what else you can put on the CD with KNOPPIX taken up all the space ? May be you mean you have a shrink downed KNOPPIX.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.8 LOADLIN (boot from DOS)
    By y23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2005, 09:09 PM
  2. loadlin question
    By Sinista in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
  3. Loadlin and Knoppix 3.7?
    By bigkahuna in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 09:47 PM
  4. Kernel panic on boot with loadlin
    By Taldor in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 08:46 PM
  5. How to use loadlin to boot Knoppix
    By subarus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 04:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW picture

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW

$49.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9

Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR

$206.00



Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM) picture

Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)

$399.49



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra picture

Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra

$20.99



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung PM991a Lot Of 11 ~ 512GB NVMe SSD Solid State Drive 100% -84% Health picture

Samsung PM991a Lot Of 11 ~ 512GB NVMe SSD Solid State Drive 100% -84% Health

$640.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ SM-X210 128 GB, Wi-Fi, 11 in - Silver picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ SM-X210 128 GB, Wi-Fi, 11 in - Silver

$110.00



Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition picture

Samsung XE303 C12 Chromebook 11.6 1.7GHz, 2GB Ram, 16GB SSD, working condition

$42.00