Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: CD unreadable

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5

    CD unreadable

    Hi. I have asked a couple of dumb qustions on this board, I apologize if this is also dumb, but here goes.

    My Cd rom drive has suddenly stopped reading my Knoppix CD. It used to work, but now, Knoppix does not boot, and under win 98, Windows explorer says "d: not accesible". (my drive is rather cheap; it is a Cicero 16x DVD player-- it freezes my system whenever I play a scratched DVD).

    Luckily, I have a Cd- burner that does read the Disc, but I can't figure out how to make my computer boot from it.

    Can anyone suggest either a way to get my comp to boot from the burner, or to get my other drive to work properly?

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    14

    I don't know but...

    Hi,
    I'm a noob too, but I may be able to help.

    Firstly, when you say that you want to know how to boot off your burner CD, I would suggest that you remove the non working DVD & replace it with the burner (in the same HDD data cable place that the DVD was on).

    You don't give enough details for me to know why you feel you don't know how to boot off your burner, is it that you set your bios to boot from that CD burner, but instead it goes to the DVD?

    Or is it that you haven't played with BIOs yet?

    There should NOT be a problem with booting from your Burner.
    Let me know.

    R.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5
    yes, my BIOS (Award modular BIOS) only has an option to boot from cd-rom, and does not allow me to specify which one (I think they're on a chain or something?? can't remember). I am sufficiently inexperienced not to be comfortable opening my computer up and fiddling around.
    btw, my DVD still reads most cd's, it has just stopped reading my Knoppix CD (also my Mandrake Move CD- for some strange reason).

    Thanks again

Similar Threads

  1. CDs unreadable *except* under Linux...
    By TheKid965 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 05:51 PM
  2. Kedit,Kwrite fonts unreadable.
    By Ancer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 11:18 PM
  3. Unreadable fonts when using knoppix xserver=XF86_SVGA
    By arkaine23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 07:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00



MICRON PC4-2666 4GB DDR4 SODIMM MEMORY - GREEN picture

MICRON PC4-2666 4GB DDR4 SODIMM MEMORY - GREEN

$38.15



RDIMM MICRON  DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks  5600 RAM picture

RDIMM MICRON DDR5 SERVER MEMORY 1x16 Sticks 5600 RAM

$449.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Micron 32GB MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E7 RAM 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG Memory picture

Micron 32GB MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2E7 RAM 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA ECC REG Memory

$249.99



Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB picture

Server Memory: Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4-2133P ECC LRDIMM DDR4 M386A4G40DM0-CPB

$124.95



Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM picture

Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM

$79.95



OWC 32GB DDR4 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933 288-Pin ECC RDIMM RAM picture

OWC 32GB DDR4 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933 288-Pin ECC RDIMM RAM

$200.00