-
Senior Member
registered user
Booting to external HDD - optimization
I've installed Knoppix 3.3 (19 Nov version) to my HDD and am using the CD to boot into it (using the method described here http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6463).
As I'm using hte CD to boot, I have a few concerns/questions:
1. Knoppix uses a ramdisk when running from CD. I use this ramdisk during the boot process, but once I'm ruinning from the HDD I no longer need it. Is the ram used by the ramdisk being freed up (e.g. see http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7905)? This is pretty important as I'm only have 128 MB of RAM and cannot upgrade.
2. Knoppix loads a number of modules when starting up (it is this feature that makes booting to a 1394 HDD so easy). However I don't need all modules (such as hpfs, minix etc - see http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppixtweak.php). I imagine that I cannot stop Knoppix from loading them, the only thing to do would be to "modprobe -r <module_name>" once I've transfered the root fs to my 1394 drive? Is this correct?
3. Will Knoppix start/stop services that are in /etc/rc{runlevel}.d on my 1394 HDD when I transfer the root FS to the 1394 drive?
OK that's it for now ;), these questions should be valid for USB HDD users as well who do not have the BIOS option of booting from USB and who have not installed LILO or GRUB.
Thanks for any information on this tricky (too tricky for me, just too newbie) booting technique.
Similar Threads
-
By Kater Karlo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-03-2005, 05:46 AM
-
By chopperman in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-28-2005, 10:49 PM
-
By mbl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:17 PM
-
By orgler in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-28-2004, 06:52 PM
-
By mikekgr in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 Workstation 3.5 Floppy Big Box Complete No COA
$139.99

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$224.72

HP 13210-60001 Disc Drive Interface PCB HP 7900A 7901A Vintage
$225.61

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC
$99.99

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00
$199.99