Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Accessibility in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    Accessibility in Knoppix

    Hi evryone, I'm new to Knoppix and Lunix in general. I tried the live version of the program and I must say it doesn't look that difficult to understand. I am visually impaired and I find the print to read rather small in the help file. Is there anyway I can enlarge the text so it can be easier for me to read so I can help myself with the problem I am having and to generally understand knoppix and lunix more? the problem that I am having is that I have no sound. My system is an Intel Pentium IV 2.53 GHz processor with 512MB of RAM 128MB Nvidia Geforce 4 mx 440 Soundmax Intergrated audio running windows xp home sp1. Does anyone know if it is possible to make the print easier to read? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Accessibility in Knoppix

    Quote Originally Posted by broadband412
    Hi evryone, I'm new to Knoppix and Lunix in general. I tried the live version of the program and I must say it doesn't look that difficult to understand. I am visually impaired and I find the print to read rather small in the help file. Is there anyway I can enlarge the text so it can be easier for me to read so I can help myself with the problem I am having and to generally understand knoppix and lunix more? the problem that I am having is that I have no sound. My system is an Intel Pentium IV 2.53 GHz processor with 512MB of RAM 128MB Nvidia Geforce 4 mx 440 Soundmax Intergrated audio running windows xp home sp1. Does anyone know if it is possible to make the print easier to read? Thanks.
    You want to try at the boot: prompt knoppix alsa that hopefully should get you sound if the card is supported then once you have booted you go into the Kmenu -> Applications -> Tools then there a couple of utilities Xmag & Xzoom there I have never really tried them but that is their purpose.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I am interested to know this kind of information too like how to make use of the high resolution but still at the same time making things easier to read, mainly for seniors where their eyesight is deteriating. Or may be reading out the text for blind people etc.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    I am interested to know this kind of information too like how to make use of the high resolution but still at the same time making things easier to read, mainly for seniors where their eyesight is deteriating. Or may be reading out the text for blind people etc.
    For the reading on a full time basis when installed to the HD I would say use larger fonts and icons already available. For the blind there is already included a brltty terminal that connects to a braille terminal and I believe there is text to speech capabilities included although I not positive about that one.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    Hey thanks. I will try this in when I get a chance.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    no sound still

    Hi, after trying out the comand knoppix alsa at the boot prompt and still no sound. How can I find out if my soundcard is supported by knoppix. Thanks.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: no sound still

    Quote Originally Posted by broadband412
    Hi, after trying out the comand knoppix alsa at the boot prompt and still no sound. How can I find out if my soundcard is supported by knoppix. Thanks.
    Well a quick Google search led to this page where the Geek Girl using Debian Woody has it working on a 2.4.18 kernel where she patched the source so it is unclear if you need that for later kernels as well. Can you post the output of the commands lspci -v and lsmod from a console window (clam shell icon on taskbar) so we can see them.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13

    no sound

    Thanks for the help. I will try this as soon as possible.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13
    I hope I did this right. Is this the information you are refering to?



    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G] Chipset Host Bridge (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G] Chipset Host Bridge
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL [Brookdale-G] Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 32
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
    Memory behind bridge: fc900000-fe9fffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e4500000-f46fffff

    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #1) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at e800 [size=32]

    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #2) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
    I/O ports at e880 [size=32]

    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB (Hub #3) (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at ec00 [size=32]

    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB USB2 (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 23
    Memory at febffc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801BA/CA/DB/EB PCI Bridge (rev 82) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 0000d000-0000dfff
    Memory behind bridge: fea00000-feafffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: f4700000-f47fffff

    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801DB LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at ffa0 [size=16]
    Memory at 20000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corp. 82801DB/DBM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at e000 [size=32]

    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
    I/O ports at e080 [size=64]
    Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Memory at febff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.: Unknown device 8731
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 16
    Memory at fd000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at f4680000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Expansion ROM at fe9e0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    02:02.0 Modem: Broadcom Corporation BCM4212 v.90 56k modem (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 0002
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
    Memory at feaff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at dc00 [size=16]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82801BD PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 82)
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 20
    Memory at feafe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    I/O ports at d880 [size=64]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>



    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    ppp_deflate 2936 0 (autoclean)
    zlib_deflate 17336 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
    bsd_comp 3992 0 (autoclean)
    ppp_async 7264 1 (autoclean)
    ppp_generic 22816 3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
    slhc 4560 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
    autofs4 8756 1 (autoclean)
    af_packet 13448 2 (autoclean)
    nls_iso8859-1 2876 0 (autoclean)
    ntfs 51168 0 (autoclean)
    msdos 4652 0 (autoclean)
    agpgart 38296 0 (unused)
    i810_audio 25064 0 (unused)
    ac97_codec 11916 0 [i810_audio]
    e100 49068 1
    i810_rng 2660 0 (unused)
    serial 52004 0 (autoclean)
    audio 41884 1
    soundcore 3428 4 [i810_audio audio]
    pwc 45260 0 (unused)
    videodev 5472 1 [pwc]
    keybdev 1696 0 (unused)
    mousedev 3832 1
    hid 21380 0 (unused)
    input 3168 0 [keybdev mousedev hid]
    usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)
    usbcore 57472 1 [audio pwc hid usb-uhci]
    rtc 6940 0 (autoclean)
    cloop 9092 2

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by broadband412
    I hope I did this right. Is this the information you are refering to?

    00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801DB AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Gateway 2000: Unknown device 2009
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    I/O ports at e400 [size=256]
    I/O ports at e080 [size=64]
    Memory at febff800 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512]
    Memory at febff400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>


    Module Size Used by Not tainted

    i810_audio 25064 0 (unused)
    ac97_codec 11916 0 [i810_audio]
    audio 41884 1
    soundcore 3428 4 [i810_audio audio]
    usbcore 57472 1 [audio pwc hid usb-uhci]
    Yes that exactly what I wanted to see it detects the card and is trying to use it but it is an unknown device so that could be bad sign. Have you went into the BIOS of your computer and made sure that any settings in there for a Plug'n'Play OS are set to disabled? This can help get the card and devices initialized properly and I notice that you have an audio module loaded being used by the USB do you have speakers connected to the USB bus or some other audio device? And just to ask the totally obvious have you checked in Kmix to make sure the speakers are unmuted and have checked all connections to them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. accessibility for the blind
    By babelbrennt in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 01:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99