Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The story so far.........

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    The story so far.........

    I downloaded the latest KnoppixKDE today, burnt it out and after creating a LinuxSwap and LinuxExt2 paritions I booted from the CD.
    At boot prompt I typed in "knoppix lang=en mount /floppy". Looking good so far. I made a new Directory/folder on the desktop called "new". I then inserted my floppy with the latest knx-hdinstall on it "knx-hdinstall-0.38". I then unpacked into "new." I opened a LinuxConsole, logged in as sudo su and navigated to "new" where I exe "./knx-hdinstall". Got a few boxes popping up asking about partitions and pointed it to the ones I had already formatted.For some reason I didn't get any option to open cfisk but things proceeded correctly. During this part there were some error comments in the console stating that certain paths couldn't be found or they didn't exist but things seemd OK. One odd comment was "./knx-hdinstall: line 364term command not found" line364 is "xterm -fn 10x20 -e cfdisk /dev/$HDCHOICE" not that means anything to me as I am quite new to Linux. The remaining hdinstall seedmed to go ok but when I finally booted again the process stalled at "Can't" find ...etc.

    OK I had read here somewhere that copying the Knoppix Cd to the HDD and making a Boot Diskette made things run smoother, so I did all this and when I booted from the Diskette Knoppix loaded from HHD copy (very quickly this time) found the Knoppix file and I proceeded as usual. I still got the line364 error and now the whole process stalls with the "copying files box open", the first time I tried it stalled at 1% and the last time at 6%.

    Well I think that I am learning a lot each time I try but I would like to be able to actually install Knoppix on my HDD because it is a fantastic OS.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9
    I just installed it to my hd about an hour ago. Don't bother with creating a directory, putting knx-hdinstall on a floppy, or even making your partitions with fdisk (if you want to use cfdisk instead).

    Just open the console, sudo su, run fdisk if you want to use that to make your partitions, and then run knx-hdinstall right from the cd.

    Edit: for the total newbies who don't know this, you'll also have to make the filesystem on each partition. Here's a good howto on patitioning and file system creation: http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplan...orials/3174/1/

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    Reply

    Lando, I have done that with pretty much the same result. Maybe the final KDE 3.1 version from this website will be easier.

Similar Threads

  1. Success Story
    By jimbo62 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 02:29 AM
  2. A Story of A Sad newbie
    By mimes in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. A Long Story...
    By linuX-gamEr in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-18-2004, 01:37 PM
  4. A success (sort of) Story -- My Modem
    By Dr Snark in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-06-2004, 02:46 AM
  5. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1... picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...

$324.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99