I've installed Knoppix 3.3 (19 Nov version) to my HDD and am using the CD to boot into it (using the method described here http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6463).
As I'm using hte CD to boot, I have a few concerns/questions:
1. Knoppix uses a ramdisk when running from CD. I use this ramdisk during the boot process, but once I'm ruinning from the HDD I no longer need it. Is the ram used by the ramdisk being freed up (e.g. see http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7905)? This is pretty important as I'm only have 128 MB of RAM and cannot upgrade.
2. Knoppix loads a number of modules when starting up (it is this feature that makes booting to a 1394 HDD so easy). However I don't need all modules (such as hpfs, minix etc - see http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppixtweak.php). I imagine that I cannot stop Knoppix from loading them, the only thing to do would be to "modprobe -r <module_name>" once I've transfered the root fs to my 1394 drive? Is this correct?
3. Will Knoppix start/stop services that are in /etc/rc{runlevel}.d on my 1394 HDD when I transfer the root FS to the 1394 drive?
OK that's it for now ;), these questions should be valid for USB HDD users as well who do not have the BIOS option of booting from USB and who have not installed LILO or GRUB.
Thanks for any information on this tricky (too tricky for me, just too newbie) booting technique.

Samsung MLT-R116 Imaging Unit Xpress M2625 M2675 M2825 M2875 M2885 M3015 OEM NEW
$49.99
Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q 32 GB DDR4 PC4-17000 2133Mhz ECC RDIMM RAM Memory
$215.00
SAMSUNG 990 EVO PLUS 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4/ 5.0 x2 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-V9S1T0B/AM)
$189.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab S10 Lite 10.9" 128GB Silver Wi-Fi SM-X400NZSAXAR
$206.00
Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)
$57.99
Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666 NON-ECC UDIMM RAM PC4-2666V-ED2 M378A1K43CB2-CTD
$55.00
Magnetic Leather Flip Case with Stand for Samsung Tab S9 S9+ S10+ S10 Ultra
$20.99
Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc
$27.99
Samsung 2TB 9100 PRO 14,700MB/s PCIe 5.0 x4 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD (MZ-VAP2T0B/AM)
$399.49
Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI
$85.00