I've installed Knoppix 3.3 (19 Nov version) to my HDD and am using the CD to boot into it (using the method described here http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6463).
As I'm using hte CD to boot, I have a few concerns/questions:
1. Knoppix uses a ramdisk when running from CD. I use this ramdisk during the boot process, but once I'm ruinning from the HDD I no longer need it. Is the ram used by the ramdisk being freed up (e.g. see http://knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7905)? This is pretty important as I'm only have 128 MB of RAM and cannot upgrade.
2. Knoppix loads a number of modules when starting up (it is this feature that makes booting to a 1394 HDD so easy). However I don't need all modules (such as hpfs, minix etc - see http://gnubox.dyndns.org:8080/~sunil/knoppixtweak.php). I imagine that I cannot stop Knoppix from loading them, the only thing to do would be to "modprobe -r <module_name>" once I've transfered the root fs to my 1394 drive? Is this correct?
3. Will Knoppix start/stop services that are in /etc/rc{runlevel}.d on my 1394 HDD when I transfer the root FS to the 1394 drive?
OK that's it for now ;), these questions should be valid for USB HDD users as well who do not have the BIOS option of booting from USB and who have not installed LILO or GRUB.
Thanks for any information on this tricky (too tricky for me, just too newbie) booting technique.

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$199.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00