I think removing the CD to play a DVD will not be possible. It is like removing your hard drive and then trying to play a DVD. Maybe there is another Knoppix-related version that runs entirely in RAM that would allow DVD playing, but I am not sure.
I'm thinking of running an Epia based computer as a TV media station without a HD, only a CD with Knoppix. Does the Epia systems have all hardware identified properly in the standard Knoppix? 3.4?
For example: http://www.mycom.se/produkter/434226/
It mentions "Integrated VIA CastleRock AGP graphics with MPEG-2 decoder", will that be enough to play DVDs and XviD etc in Knoppix?
Or would I have to buy an actively cooled 1 GHz version "embedded VIA C3™ E-Series processor for more demanding digital multimedia applications"?
What about removing boot CD to play DVDs?
I think removing the CD to play a DVD will not be possible. It is like removing your hard drive and then trying to play a DVD. Maybe there is another Knoppix-related version that runs entirely in RAM that would allow DVD playing, but I am not sure.
I think http://freshmeat.net/projects/movix/ is exactly what you need; boots from cd, loads OS to ram (which allows you to remove the cd!), plays dvd, divx, etc..
Dunno whether the slower, say, below 700mhz via systems are capable of playing divx since they always tend to be somewhat slower than AMD/Intel anyways! but a gigahertz should do!
For pure playing, may be you can consider xbox.

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver
$1500.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
$75.00
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99
Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$36.00
Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00
Cisco C9300NM8X Network Switch Module
$599.99
Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New
$50.00