Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Copying the Bootable CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8

    Copying the Bootable CD

    Hi all..

    I DL the iso and successfully burned it onto a 700MB cd...I can boot knoppix from this and all is cool.

    This CD now has a dir structure that looks like this:

    /Demos
    /Knoppix
    /Talks
    autorun.bat
    autorun.inf
    index.html
    knoppix.ico

    QUESTION IS: Can I just do a straight data-cd copy of this CD to make more bootable CD's?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    copying CD

    Yes, just do a CD copy. I've done it several times.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    crap..crap..crap...

    I've done something wrong....

    CD#2 looks just like CD#1...same directories and same files.

    But, I can't boot off of CD#2....?????????

    This same machine boots off of #1 just fine.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Glenview, Illinois
    Posts
    72

    copying CD

    What program are you using??

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Here's an easy (and very cool) way to make a copy.

    1. Boot into the original Knoppix disc.

    2. Open a shell and type cdrecord -scanbus

    You should get output something like this:

    Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jrg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX160E ' '1.0e' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *

    You need to take the bus that your burner is listed on and use that info to burn your new CD.

    For example I would do it like this:

    cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=4 -isosize /dev/scd0

    Just plug in your info into dev=x,x,x

    Hit return and your new CD will be copied.

    A couple of caveats: You can adjust the speed option as high as you want, but just make sure that you don't make it faster than your cd reader can read. Othewise you'll end up with a coaster. You may want to use a CD-RW if you think you will be setting it too high.

    I did this on a box with 256 MB of ram. I wouldn't suggest it with anything less than 128.

    If you end up with a bad CD, you can blank the CD-RW and start again like this.

    cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,0,0

    Again plug in your device into the formula above.

    Give it a try and see how it goes. I have copied CD's successfully this way.

    You can also use k3b to do all this if you want to experiment, but i find the command line much faster.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    8
    Ok...I'll give that a shot.

    I've been using Adaptec EasyCD Creator 4....not exactly bleeding edge.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Good info; HOWEVER, if he only has 1 drive and that's the burner: you've got to run Knoppix from HD while doing this, and DD or 'cat' the Knoppix CD to a file (700Meg disk space needed), then burn it.

    >> I did this on a box with 256 MB of ram. I wouldn't suggest it with anything less than 128.

    --I've used cdrecord on boxes with 32MB of RAM... You just have to boot into text-mode with "knoppix 2" and be sure the burner has at least 2MB of cache.

    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Here's an easy (and very cool) way to make a copy.

    1. Boot into the original Knoppix disc.

    2. Open a shell and type cdrecord -scanbus

    You should get output something like this:

    Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jrg Schilling
    Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'
    scsibus0:
    0,0,0 0) 'SONY ' 'CD-RW CRX160E ' '1.0e' Removable CD-ROM
    0,1,0 1) *
    0,2,0 2) *
    0,3,0 3) *
    0,4,0 4) *
    0,5,0 5) *
    0,6,0 6) *
    0,7,0 7) *

    You need to take the bus that your burner is listed on and use that info to burn your new CD.

    For example I would do it like this:

    cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=4 -isosize /dev/scd0

    Just plug in your info into dev=x,x,x

    Hit return and your new CD will be copied.

    A couple of caveats: You can adjust the speed option as high as you want, but just make sure that you don't make it faster than your cd reader can read. Othewise you'll end up with a coaster. You may want to use a CD-RW if you think you will be setting it too high.

    I did this on a box with 256 MB of ram. I wouldn't suggest it with anything less than 128.

    If you end up with a bad CD, you can blank the CD-RW and start again like this.

    cdrecord blank=fast dev=0,0,0

    Again plug in your device into the formula above.

    Give it a try and see how it goes. I have copied CD's successfully this way.

    You can also use k3b to do all this if you want to experiment, but i find the command line much faster.

Similar Threads

  1. copying files
    By FireStorm in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 11:24 PM
  2. Copying from friend's CD
    By Tobobo in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 09:48 PM
  3. copying Knoppix
    By BradC in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:37 PM
  4. Error copying from CD
    By iamanewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 04:00 PM
  5. Copying CDs
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable picture

OWC Express 4M2 USB4 40Gb/s 4-Slot NVMe M.2 SSD RAID Enclosure w/ Cable

$125.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed picture

New BroadCom 9500-8i Tri-Mode HBA Card Storage Adapter New-Sealed

$245.57