Another thing to check (if that / other thinsg don't work) is a setting in the BIOS - on my laptop I had to "disable support for PNP OS" or something similar to get sound.
HTH
I'v been having a beeyaach of a time getting my sound to work, I tried everything I could find and nothing worked. If what I am about to tell you is common knowedge don't set me on fire I am a neo as you were at one time. this is for the newbies and I have not seen it before.
First boot your knoppix cd and copy your alsa-autoconfig file from /etc/init.d to a floppy disk
then remove the cd and reboot the box open kwrite or your favorite editor and open /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh, and copy from your floppy. alsa-autoconfig to an open spot and save. then reboot.
Another thing to check (if that / other thinsg don't work) is a setting in the BIOS - on my laptop I had to "disable support for PNP OS" or something similar to get sound.
HTH
Does your bootmisc.sh update help on a system where you've never been able to get the sound to work? I've got a thread going in the Hardware forum, about problems with my Compaq desktop not finding the sound card. But it hasn't been found when booting from the Knoppix CD *or* from the HD install.
I need to look for that "disable PNP support" option again, too.

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00
Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz
$380.00
SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM
$1950.00