If this is a hard drive install (as I assume since you posted in this forum) go to http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html and download the 1.1.27t of savage.o and 4.3.99 version of XFRee. Put them where the instructions say and then see what you get. Look in XFRee.log in the directory /var/log to see what it thinks the board is when XFRee starts the next time. There will be a hex code ID of the board when it starts and that unequivocally tells you what the board is.

Note this will only give you 2D support. The 3D support is still being worked on, but I see on the DRI mailing list today the author has got his first rough cut of integrating 2D with 3D support ready, so I know what I will try this weekend.

I have no problem having mine recognized as a Savage4. My card is an AGP card instead of builtin to the motherboard so maybe that makes a difference.