Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: network help, printer and desktop

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13

    network help, printer and desktop

    Dear friends,
    I am a little unsure why I cannot use my printer. I have two pcs, laptop, and desktop, the printer is attached to the desktop, running xppro. Should I be able to use openoffice as were it a real programme, to wit, write and print documents?
    Is this a problem with the network in general. I connect through DHCP over a netgear 314 router, and since I am obviously on the internet, I cannot see why I do not see the desktop.
    The My documents folder on the desktop is set to share by simple file sharing, so I have a feeling that it is the NTFS security structure that is the problem, by how, I am unsure.
    When installing XP I did not set a root admin password, as I am the only real user. Simple, no logins, easy and flawless networking. Now that I am trying to run linux on the laptop, there seems to be no way of either machine recognising the other, as I cannot see the laptop from the desktop, either.
    There are icons and pull downs in the network part the control panel, but they seem to do nothing. Is this because I am running the OS from the CDROm drive, or will I have problems with a installation as well?
    Many thanks, and apologies for the ignorance.

    Alll good wishes,

    Yazdzik

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    49
    Well, I believe I can answer two of the above questions at least...

    To configure your printer (if it's supported) click on the KMenu and then under the folder called "Knoppix" will be an icon for Printer Configuration. After that's set up, you should be able to print from OpenOffice using CUPS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here as my printer (Canon S520) is not yet supported so I'm not entirely sure it's that simple.

    As far as accessing the "My Documents" folder on your Windows computer:
    Knoppix automatically detects and mounts your FAT32 and NTFS partitions as read-only and places icons for accessing them on the KDE desktop. Simply click on the appropriate icon on your KDE desktop to view your "C:" drive (eg "hda1") then navigate to "Documents and Settings\<your user name>\My Documents". Note that since your drive is NTFS you won't be able to save your documents if you edit them in OpenOffice or KOffice.

    Also, you can view the files located on your Windows Desktop by using the same method as above for viewing you My Documents folder. The only difference is that path would be "Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Desktop".

    Hope this helps!

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13
    Dear R and friends,
    That helped, insofar as I can connect the printer directly to the laptop, but still cannot get it to work when connected to the main box. I guess the question is, can one network from knoppix or not? If so, how? I need to share printer. Since I can use the internet from the router, why can I not see the other computer and use its periperhals as I did when all boxen were running xppro?

    Many thanks for the answer, as I got some work done.

    Best wishes,
    Martin

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by yazdzik
    Dear R and friends,
    That helped, insofar as I can connect the printer directly to the laptop, but still cannot get it to work when connected to the main box. I guess the question is, can one network from knoppix or not? If so, how?
    The answer to THAT question should be yes. Using the Printer Configuration tool I mention in my above post you can choose to use a printer that is connected via a WinXP box with printer sharing enabled. It will detect all the printers on your network that are shared. Then you just select which one you want to you use and the driver for it.

    Connecting to shared WinXP drive on the network to exchange files is something I haven't tried yet, but it IS possible. Check out the FaqUsing (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqUsing) and the FaqSambaQuick (http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick) for more info.

    If you need more help with this post your questions here. If no one else chimes in with the answer before I get home tonight (should be about 8-10 hours from now) I'll try to give you some step by step instructions on how to do this stuff. Sorry for the wait, but I'm at work right now and I don't have my Knoppix disk with me (I know, shame on me).

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13
    Dear Rob,
    That is of immense help, and you are very kind to take the time to write.
    I now have the network, and can see the computers and printer, but not use the printer. I have done everything in printer management I can think of doing, to no avail.
    Still, being on the network is a huge advance.
    Now, I have found out that there is really no way to play a DVD, in spite of the player being there, but this is of little consequence, as getting the printer printing is close at hand.
    I deeply appreciate the thoughtfulness. One would think some enterprising soul would come up with "Linux for wusses," with genuine hand-holding support, but in the meantime, we are all a little like Blanche duBois.

    Very best wishes,
    Martin

Similar Threads

  1. needed to configure network printer.....
    By ira in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 04:43 AM
  2. Getting a windows network printer going?
    By homer in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-16-2004, 04:39 AM
  3. network printer
    By urpk in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 02:34 PM
  4. can't print to network printer
    By riechert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 12:19 AM
  5. network printer
    By yazdzik in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper Networks 25GBASE-LR SMF 25Gbps 10km 1310nm LC SFP 740-071562 Lot 10 picture

Juniper Networks 25GBASE-LR SMF 25Gbps 10km 1310nm LC SFP 740-071562 Lot 10

$1200.00



JUNIPER NETWORKS KATIRIV LCM Mist Outdoor Access Point Survey Kit Mod 2 No Box* picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS KATIRIV LCM Mist Outdoor Access Point Survey Kit Mod 2 No Box*

$1234.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99