Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Make Knoppix detect ISOs lying on HD

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159

    Make Knoppix detect ISOs lying on HD

    I would like to be able to run Knoppix ISO from HD.

    Granted, there is the fromhd cheatcode, but with this I always have to extract the /knoppix/knoppix file from the ISO I have downloaded. It would be great if Knoppix could search for Knoppix ISO files lying around on HD at boot time using loop.

    It should be feasible by editing linuxrc and/or the init scripts.

    With this, you could have a "very poor man's" install by just downloading the Knoppix ISO to HD, copying miniroot.gz and vmlinuz and creating the neccessary LILO/GRUB entries.

    No more "unpacking" the 700 MB file from the ISO!

    (My dream is to always grab the latest ISO and run it from within the ISO without unpacking - and have the rest of the HD as /home where I also install my software using klik)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    92
    I do this all the time.

    Boot knoppix, mount your 700 meg hard drive PARTITION. Making this partition any bigger is useless is the partition will be mounted RO. Let's call the hdc1

    mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/hdc1 -o rw (Or whatever other options you may or may not need)
    cd /mnt/hdc1
    mkdir KNOPPIX
    cd KNOPPIX
    cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ./KNOPPIX
    reboot
    At the boot prompt, type 'knoppix fromhd' Knoppix will look on all partitions for it's 700meg compress KNOPPIX image, and boot that.

    Hope this helps.

    - Ambrose

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    I too do this, but that's not what I meant. With this method you still have to extract the knoppix/knoppix from the ISO which requires an additional 700 MB of HD space (at least temporarily) and some minutes to copy knoppix/knoppix.

    What I want is to leave knoppix/knoppix _INSIDE_ the ISO and boot it from there.

    I imagine it should work by modifying the scripts inside initrd.gz. It should to the following:

    When I enter
    knoppix fromiso=/dev/hda1/KNOPPIX3.4_CTEDITION
    the init script should, instead scanning all kinds of devices, insmod loop && mount /dev/hda1/KNOPPIX3.4_CTEDITION /mnt/iso -o loop
    then it could continue as usual...

    I see no reason why this should not work but unfortunately I am not programmer enough to actually do it.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix does not detect my hardware
    By Aphex_Twin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM
  2. Knoppix Cannot detect my modem
    By technolamb in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2005, 07:30 PM
  3. Burning Isos
    By sethosayher in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 02:14 PM
  4. knoppix-autoconfig does not detect in HD
    By kim in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 04:07 AM
  5. ISOs and hex-editor
    By oscar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99