-
Knoppix STD hdinstall with partition
Hi, I'm very novice at linux. I recently got the Knoppix STD and i want to do a hdinstall so i won't have to depend on my slow cd-rom. When i try to install, it first have to use the Partitioning tool cfdisk. I can't really figure out what to do in that.
What i did was made hda1 linux swap as boot. and hda2 as linux. i then used the Write command and then i'm not sure what to do after that.
Is there any other commands i should know about?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
It is probably better to create hda1 as linux and hda2 as swap. I use 500 MB for swap, the rest is linux (ext3) filesystem. You then need to write the partition table and quit the program. Then, select hda1 for Knoppix install.
Of course, this will wipe out all data on that hard drive. If you intend on dual booting, or resizing ntfs partitions to keep data, it is better to use partition magic or partition expert from acronis first before installing Knoppix.
-
I put hda1 as linux and hda2 as linux swap. I put hda1 as primary and hda2 as logical partitions. after i wrote the partition and quit, it asked me to chose the drive to partitioin using swap so i could only chose hda2. after that, it gave me the error of not meeting the requirements saying "Please make sure that you have an free partition with at least 1 GB to install knoppix on. Also we need a swap partition with at least 128 MB, if you don't have 512 MB Memory or more."
I tried different combinations of making the hda's as primary and logical. Probably theres a combination i missed?
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Not sure what's going on there, but I always make all my Linux partitions primary.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
we0
I put hda1 as linux and hda2 as linux swap. I put hda1 as primary and hda2 as logical partitions. after i wrote the partition and quit, it asked me to chose the drive to partitioin using swap so i could only chose hda2. after that, it gave me the error of not meeting the requirements saying "Please make sure that you have an free partition with at least 1 GB to install knoppix on. Also we need a swap partition with at least 128 MB, if you don't have 512 MB Memory or more."
I tried different combinations of making the hda's as primary and logical. Probably theres a combination i missed?
Thanks.
Can you post the output of fdisk -l so we can see the actual size of the drive and the partitions that are on it.
-
The laptop has a 4 gig Hardrive,32mb, and like a 466 Mhz. Its and IBM Thinkpad 380XD. It's very old, i'm jsut trying to make some use into it.
On the partition I put the hda2 linux swap with 500 MB and the hda1 linux with whatever is left. I only made 2 partitions, trying to keep it simple.
I didn't have this problem when i installed it into my desktop, but i shouldn't except any problem from the laptop neither. i have the hardware requirements the knoppix std needed.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
we0
The laptop has a 4 gig Hardrive,32mb, and like a 466 Mhz. Its and IBM Thinkpad 380XD. It's very old, i'm jsut trying to make some use into it.
On the partition I put the hda2 linux swap with 500 MB and the hda1 linux with whatever is left. I only made 2 partitions, trying to keep it simple.
I didn't have this problem when i installed it into my desktop, but i shouldn't except any problem from the laptop neither. i have the hardware requirements the knoppix std needed.
That still does not let us see the partition table to check if anything thing is messed up though. Try this then make your partitions both of them primary, the swap type 82 the other type 83 and set to bootable then write the new table and reboot. Next once booted again mkswap /dev/hda? replace the question with the partition number you created for the swap then for the / partition you created use mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda? again replace the ? with the correct number now try to install.
Similar Threads
-
By corelogic in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 06:10 PM
-
By certifieduser in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-16-2004, 06:45 AM
-
By droy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:01 PM
-
By stefan_isaacs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 08:52 PM
-
By Private Pyle in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 07-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s
$78.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99