Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Internet Config?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirkwood
    Posts
    12

    Internet Config?

    I'm a bit scared to configure my internet for Knoppix.. even though the people at Accesscomm (where I get my net from) said that the connection would reset to my XP when I restart.

    I have:
    My XP (where I will be running Knoppix from, also using it for XP alot)
    A Windows 98 tower hooked up to my XP
    Another XP (my sister's)
    Two laptops (occasionally plugged in)

    The problem is that I use a router, and I'm concerned that the 98, otehr XP, or laptops will be unable to run internet when I configure it to Knoppix, and that I don't know for certain if it will reset the internet configurations for Windows XP.

    Please help me if you can.. I'd be very grateful

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    Eh?

    Your router gives each machine a dynamic internal IP address via DHCP unless you staticly assign addresses through windows. Booting Knoppix on your LAN will not make any of the other machines lose their connection. It will not change the windows networking settings of the computer you boot it on either. It will just ask your router to assign it a dynamic IP address and if there is a driver for your network card on the Knoppix CD, it will just work automagically. You don't have to configure anything.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirkwood
    Posts
    12
    If there is a driver on the CD, will it work right when I boot it up on Knoppix? Because I tried before, and I couldn't get onto GAIM.. and the guy that gave me the CD said that I would need to configure my net...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    You'll probably need to configure your nic. If the router is handling DHCP, that should be it.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mirkwood
    Posts
    12
    I kno I'll probably sound stupid, but what's nic? I'm really new to Knoppix.. and I've never had need to set up my net..

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    NIC = network interface card. It's the card which your ethernet cable plugs into.

Similar Threads

  1. Where is .config for 2.6.7
    By algernon in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2004, 11:29 PM
  2. Internet config
    By Xpiral in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. How to config FTP?
    By treo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-25-2003, 05:47 PM
  4. Internet Config
    By hawgs74 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 05:34 PM
  5. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01