Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: knoppix and new computer

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68

    knoppix and new computer

    I was trying to install KNOPPIX on a completely new computer by booting off the CD. The harddisks were not formatted or partitioned. I was hoping to boot into KNOPPIX and use fdisk to partition the hd. However KNOPPIX (3.3-2003-09-24) seems to stop when detecting the hds and trying to create the fstab entry.

    What I did was to boot from a dos diskette and partition the hds. After that everything was ok.

    Does that mean that KNOPPIX can only run if the hds are partitioned? Or is this because I must wait longer? Or is it because I am not using the lastest KNOPPIX?

    I was hoping to do everything from one CD.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    I've booted Knoppix on a machine with a blank HD, it does work. Not sure if I've tried it with that particular version but at least with 3.3-2003-11-19.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Windos_No_Thanks,

    Stupid question here, but, how do you get the DATE version, that both of you are speaking of???

    True, someone else d/l'ed my v3.3, and burned the ISO image for me, is that where you get the date version you both are using? (from the ISO file itself?) Or can you get this date version from a command in Knoppix?

    All I knew about was the uname part, i.e. I have:

    Knoppix v3.3 v2.4.22-xfs

    Thanks for any enlightenment,
    Cuddles

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Windos_No_Thanks,

    Stupid question here, but, how do you get the DATE version, that both of you are speaking of???

    True, someone else d/l'ed my v3.3, and burned the ISO image for me, is that where you get the date version you both are using? (from the ISO file itself?) Or can you get this date version from a command in Knoppix?

    All I knew about was the uname part, i.e. I have:

    Knoppix v3.3 v2.4.22-xfs

    Thanks for any enlightenment,
    Cuddles
    IIRC the text on the boot screen tells you exactly which version it is when booting from CD, I'm not sure if/where it can be found on a HD install though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Hmmmmm, oh well...

    To add (quality) to the thread...

    I installed Knoppix 3.3 - the one I mentioned above (previous), from just the CD - completely new hard drive - not even a partition table on the drive - who knows why it didn't work for you though.

    This was on my new system, only one hard drive, and no previous OS was on it.

    Cuddles

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    Could it be that I am not patient enough to wait for the detection process to finish? I waited for about 3 mins.

    Or is it because its a SATA harddisk?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Hmmmmmm,

    Just for my knowledge, what is a SATA hard disk?

    I am familiar with IDE, and SCSI, I know "of" Flash, and USB, but I have never heard of this one. I have been out of the "main-stream" computer technology for about two years, being in a small town now, things are less visible here...

    Thanks for the enlightenment,
    Cuddles

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    25
    I think he is refering to Serial ATA. More information is available at http://www.serialata.org/. Which probably explains why markleong is having difficulties.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    68
    Are you saying that KNOPPIX will have problems with SATA harddisks? Or it only my version of KNOPPIX?

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    25
    I do not know if Knoppix works with SATA harddrives, perhaps someone else knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HELP!! I think Knoppix murdered my computer!!
    By ssinai in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
  2. Computer First Aid Using Knoppix
    By namnemet in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:05 AM
  3. Can't boot knoppix on old computer!
    By Jefff in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 08:13 AM
  4. Knoppix Locks My Computer
    By ruined in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 05:17 PM
  5. Did Knoppix kill my computer?
    By gf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 12:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.27



Oem Samsung BAR Plus 256 GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - Champagne/Silver NEW SEALED picture

Oem Samsung BAR Plus 256 GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - Champagne/Silver NEW SEALED

$56.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW picture

TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW

$22.00