Hi everybody:
I've been trying to do the same thing for a few months (at least 5), and now I've managed to have good results.
I have a Maxi Sound M;use sound card (c-media cm-8738 chip) and the driver is cmpci.o but there was a problem in my knoppix. This sound card suports 4 speakers, 4 channels, but in my knoppix I just could listen the 2 front speakers.
I have made the same question many times in this forum but never have a solution, so i decided to experiment.
I had realised that in other distros like SuSE 9.0 live or Mandrake, it worked good, i could listen the 4 speakers, and manage the volumes in kmixer, so i did this:
1.- I booted my computer with Suse 9.0live (4 channels sound).
2.- Then i searched the driver file --> cmpci.o and copy it to a floppy disk.
3.- Then I restarted the system into knoppix (hdinstall) and copy this cmpci.o into /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound as root, in order to replace the existing one.
4.- Then reboot knoppix. You'll be able to listen all your speakers sound.
I think i can try recompiling the driver, but i don't know exactly haw to do it. If someone can tell me? I think it is a better way than the one i have done.
I hope this helps others like me.
See you![]()

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89
LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04
Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99
V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00
US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89
2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99
Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99
Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable
$9.97
Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99
WeePro Compressed Air Duster 180000RPM Cordless Mini Turbo Fan, 3-Speed Vacuum
$149.99