Hi everybody:
I've been trying to do the same thing for a few months (at least 5), and now I've managed to have good results.
I have a Maxi Sound M;use sound card (c-media cm-8738 chip) and the driver is cmpci.o but there was a problem in my knoppix. This sound card suports 4 speakers, 4 channels, but in my knoppix I just could listen the 2 front speakers.
I have made the same question many times in this forum but never have a solution, so i decided to experiment.
I had realised that in other distros like SuSE 9.0 live or Mandrake, it worked good, i could listen the 4 speakers, and manage the volumes in kmixer, so i did this:
1.- I booted my computer with Suse 9.0live (4 channels sound).
2.- Then i searched the driver file --> cmpci.o and copy it to a floppy disk.
3.- Then I restarted the system into knoppix (hdinstall) and copy this cmpci.o into /lib/modules/2.4.22-xfs/kernel/drivers/sound as root, in order to replace the existing one.
4.- Then reboot knoppix. You'll be able to listen all your speakers sound.
I think i can try recompiling the driver, but i don't know exactly haw to do it. If someone can tell me? I think it is a better way than the one i have done.
I hope this helps others like me.
See you![]()

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74
Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99
Silicon Power 1TB SSD 3D NAND A55 SLC SATA III 2.5" SSD Laptop XBOX PS3 PC
$119.99
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99