Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: kernel 2.6.0

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60

    kernel 2.6.0

    Hi:

    I have downloaded oficcial packages of kernel 2.6.0 and installed them with apt-get.

    I think it is all ok. I did the configuration changes in lilo.conf (including vga=normal) but when I try to enter the new kernel (selected in lilo) it loads the kernel into memory, but then, it stops and doesn't do anything.

    Where is the problem? What have I to do?

    If I have to conpile the kernel sources, have I to install any required program?

    Finally, if the kernel works, can i remove the kernel 2.4.22-xfs packages?

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Vermont, USA
    Posts
    1

    2.6 kernel hangs on knoppix 3.3

    I have the exact same experience with Knoppix 3.3 when I attempt to upgrade the kernel. The reports are that the bios is ok and it is uncompressing the kernel and then nothing happens. I've tried it on two machines and the same happens on each. Would appreciate any advice.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: kernel 2.6.0

    Quote Originally Posted by dobell
    Hi:

    I have downloaded oficcial packages of kernel 2.6.0 and installed them with apt-get.

    I think it is all ok. I did the configuration changes in lilo.conf (including vga=normal) but when I try to enter the new kernel (selected in lilo) it loads the kernel into memory, but then, it stops and doesn't do anything.

    Where is the problem? What have I to do?

    If I have to conpile the kernel sources, have I to install any required program?

    Finally, if the kernel works, can i remove the kernel 2.4.22-xfs packages?

    Thanks in advance
    Well I see no mention of you installing the module-init-tools or the linux-kernel-headers packages. Perhaps you could explain in more detail the steps you took in the compile as well. You could remove the 2.4.22-xfs kernel if you get the new to boot but it is always nice to have the working install kernel leftover in case you have any problems down the line this way you know that it should be bootable and when booted it should work as it did before.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North MN, USA
    Posts
    4
    your configuration isn't right. i had the same problem... you have to enable the framebuffer console option, the VESA and VGA16 options. after you do that, it should work.... mine (kernel 2.6.2) boots, i just can't get my USB working yet.

    (although i couldn't get it working before i installed 2.6.2... i highly recommend using the newer version.)

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    Ok:

    I downloaded all the 2.6.0 packages i found in a debian repository. Then installed them (dpkg...) and finally did apt-get check in order to correct dependences.

    I modified my lilo.conf file, and it run until bios check is ok.

    So i think I installed all the needed packages.


    shadowhand:

    how can i enable framebuffer console and VESA, VGA16 you say?

    thanks

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North MN, USA
    Posts
    4
    Mini Guide to Compiling the 2.6.x Kernel for Knoppix
    --------------------------

    pre-setting up:
    run "apt-get install mod-init-tools gcc" to get the newest compiled tools required for building the new kernel...

    1. make sure you are using the newest kernel source (download 2.6.x latest stable from kernel.org)
    2. untar/gzip/bzip the package into /usr/src/linux-[kernel version]
    3. create a symlink linux > linux-[kernel version]
    (ln -s /usr/src/linux-[kernel version] /usr/src/linux)
    4. open the console and cd to /usr/src/linux
    5. type "make xconfig" (without quotes) (this will create a graphical kernel configuration editor)
    6. go through the options and select the ones that pertain to you (here is where you will find the options i was talking about)
    7. when finished and you are sure that you have everything you need (or fairly sure, you can always recompile it) type these commands (without quotes):
    "make-kpkg clean"
    "make-kpkg kernel_image"
    this will make a .deb package in the /usr/src directory that you can install (it will add the kernel to Lilo, set up the modules, and configure it for you).
    8. install the package, run "lilo" in the console just to make sure it updated, then reboot and enjoy.

    --------------------------
    note: i had to compile about 5 times before i finally got all the correct options. if you aren't sure about your hardware, boot the Knoppix kernel (2.4.2-xfs probably) and run "lspci -v" and look over the modules that are running for your hardware. i found this very useful...

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    has anybody tried this? does it work?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I don't see anything special about the KNOPPIX kernel so standard kernel building procedure should work(didn't it a number of times).

    The easiest is just drop the .config of KNOPPIX into the 2.6.2(whatever) tree and start from there.

    The gotchas as far as I know(which is unrelated to KNOPPIX but simply 2.4->2.6) is :

    1. the input/console config seems to have changed which needs to be enabled(as mentioned above) when building. Otherwise, it boots but there is no way to control it(not a bad thing for headless server).

    2. the kernel modules has been renamed to .ko which may cause some scripting error(I use discover which hardcoded to .o, don't know about knoppix)

    3. the mod-init tools are all new and needs to be seperately installed. This may cause some issue in the initrd as Klaus compiled in the insmod/rmmod functions into the shell to load cloop etc. But if it is hd installation, I believe it is not needed in initrd(no idea).

    4. it is better to have a /sys which is mounted to sysfs, though even without that, I haven't experienced critical problems using 2.6 but some said it is needed for some application.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6

    kernel Compile problems

    Hi all

    I'm running knoppix 2004-02-09EN, and am trying to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel (2.6.2 or 4, I just want a 2.6.X...). I've downloaded the kernel-source .debs (via apt) for 2.6.2, untar'd the kernel-source tar in /usr/src, symlinked the new directory with /usr/src/linux, cd'd to /usr/src/linux and tried make menuconfig. i also tried make xconfig, but no matter which config I try to make, I get the same error output:

    Code:
    root@castalia:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    The same occurs with the 2.6.0 kernel-source (I can't patch the 2.6.0 kernel, either, by the way). I dunno what to do. Any ideas? Thanks
    toto

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: kernel Compile problems

    Quote Originally Posted by totothehero
    Hi all

    I'm running knoppix 2004-02-09EN, and am trying to upgrade to a 2.6 kernel (2.6.2 or 4, I just want a 2.6.X...). I've downloaded the kernel-source .debs (via apt) for 2.6.2, untar'd the kernel-source tar in /usr/src, symlinked the new directory with /usr/src/linux, cd'd to /usr/src/linux and tried make menuconfig. i also tried make xconfig, but no matter which config I try to make, I get the same error output:

    Code:
    root@castalia:/usr/src/linux# make xconfig
      HOSTCC  scripts/fixdep
    In file included from /usr/include/sys/socket.h:35,
                     from /usr/include/netinet/in.h:24,
                     from scripts/fixdep.c:107:
    /usr/include/bits/socket.h:305:24: asm/socket.h: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 1
    make: *** [scripts/fixdep] Error 2
    The same occurs with the 2.6.0 kernel-source (I can't patch the 2.6.0 kernel, either, by the way). I dunno what to do. Any ideas? Thanks
    toto
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...582&highlight=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. kernel-source or kernel-tree
    By echo6 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-08-2005, 11:42 AM
  2. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  3. Errors and kernel panic during boot (2.6 Kernel)
    By gitarzysta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 08:36 PM
  4. Kernel Source 2.4.23-xfs and Kernel install for wlan-ng
    By Nils_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-08-2004, 10:50 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$282.00



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot

$280.00



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US picture

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US

$349.00