I use pon and poff instead of kppp. In any case, make sure your user is (at the very least) a member of the dip group (edit /etc/group).
To get pon working, run the pppconfig utility.
I Downloaded and installed approriet driver for my lucent winmodem wich Kpakager said installed ok, But after configuring kppp it keeps telling me cant open the modem. I have modem position set at dev/ modem in device tab not the dev/ttsy 1,2,3 etc... poition This is same setup wich worked just great in SuSe 8.1, Mandrake 9.0 & 9.2 . Maybe something wrong with that driver I cheked my kernal version using uname-r in console wich gave version 2.4.22 anybody had similar problem ,fixes or suggestions Help is apprecieted By the way using Knoppix 3.3 installed on hard drive with about 7gigs of space. same computer That i tried oter distros mentioned that worked fine
I use pon and poff instead of kppp. In any case, make sure your user is (at the very least) a member of the dip group (edit /etc/group).
To get pon working, run the pppconfig utility.
Make sure the modules for the modem are loaded with "lsmod". Look for the name of the driver in the list of loaded modules. If it's not there try loading the module with "modprobe module-you-want-loaded".
If you see the module use "dmesg" and look through the messages there to see if you see your modem being enabled, or if there are any errors when it tried to load the modules.
If the modules are loaded try "wvdialconf /tmp/wvdial.conf" which will autoprobe any modem it finds and let you know if it's working. If this doesn't find your modem it is probably not loaded, or is loaded at a really f'd up placed.
I wish I could help in more detail, good luck. Winmodems are a pain the the arse
.

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99