Make a boot floppy. You can use it either to get into your HD installation or to boot your HD install if Windows overwrites the MBR.
But I'd recommend a boot loader: it's simply much quicker (and less likely to be chewed up by the dog!)![]()
Can I install Knoppix on my hardrive without installing the boot loader? Or if I have to install the bootloader, what if it get rid of it using windows fixmbr program after, then can I boot my knoppix that is on my hardrive from the knoppix cd? If so, how?
BTW, I'm not sure if this type of question has already been asked so please forgive me for not RTFM.
- Thanks
Make a boot floppy. You can use it either to get into your HD installation or to boot your HD install if Windows overwrites the MBR.
But I'd recommend a boot loader: it's simply much quicker (and less likely to be chewed up by the dog!)![]()
How do I make a boot floppy in Knoppix? I checked the docs section, but its giving me a dead link.
How will the boot floppy load knoppix from my hd? Will I need the specify anything?
thanks
It should be one of the options which occur when you install Knoppix to your HD, at least, it is if you use the knx-hdistall script as detailed here:
http://www.crouse.ws/knoppix.html
there's more stuff on other install scripts here:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo
use a fresh, fully formatted (to dos) disk. (You can use Kfloppy from the CD to make one.) "Fast" formatted disks don't usually have quite enough space on them.
To boot Knoppix, just have "boot from floppy" in your bios boot order before "boot from HD" and insert the floppy. That's it!

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99
1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10
Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47
Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00
LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80
128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00